What’s better than getting a great deal on a plane ticket? Getting 2 plane tickets for the price of 1! Getting a 2-for-1 deal on a plane ticket is possible with a companion ticket.
Southwest Airline’s Companion Pass is probably the most well-known companion ticket perk, but did you know that Delta also offers a companion ticket? It’s not quite the same as the Southwest Companion Pass, but still has a lot of value.
Here’s how to get a Delta Companion Certificate and use it for maximum value!
Table of contents
Table of Contents
What is the Delta Companion Certificate?
The Delta Companion Certificate is a great perk that comes with select Delta credit cards. This perk allows you to essentially get a 2-for-1 deal on a plane ticket.
So, when you purchase 1 ticket, you can use the Delta Companion Certificate to purchase a second ticket and you only have to pay the taxes and fees on that second ticket.
Here are a few rules from Delta to keep in mind when using your Delta Companion Certificate:
- The ticket is good for travel within the continental U.S.; however, if you’re a resident of Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico, or the U.S. Virgin Islands, your ticket can originate from one of those destinations. You still must travel to one of the 48 contiguous states, and the address in your Delta account must be from one of those areas.
- Companion tickets can be transferred, so you can book for someone else, but once the ticket is issued, it’s not transferable.
- Companion tickets can’t be applied to fares that have already been purchased.
- If you cancel your reservation, your companion ticket won’t be re-issued.
- The companion ticket must be for the exact same flight as the original paid ticket. You can’t use the companion ticket to purchase a fare for a friend on a different flight.
- The paid ticket and companion ticket are both eligible for upgrades as long as both passengers are either a Delta SkyMiles member, Medallion member, or SkyTeam Alliance partner airline elite member. Any upgrades will be processed according to the passenger with the highest Delta status.
- Companion ticket fares may require an advance purchase of up to 14 days, a 3-night minimum stay, and a 30-day maximum stay.
- Some flights may be excluded, and stopovers and open jaws aren’t eligible for companion flights.
- The primary, paid ticket on the itinerary will earn Delta SkyMiles, but the companion ticket will not.
How to Get a Delta Companion Certificate
You can earn a Delta Companion Certificate simply by having the right credit card in your wallet.
American Express offers 4 co-branded personal Delta credit cards and 4 co-branded Delta business credit cards in total, but not all of them come with the companion pass perk.
The Delta Companion Certificate is only available on the Platinum Delta SkyMiles® and Delta Reserve credit cards:
- Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card
- Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card
- Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card
- Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card
The companion pass varies slightly depending on what credit card you hold.
Delta Platinum Credit Cards [Personal and Business]
Both the Delta Platinum card and Delta Platinum Business card come with the companion ticket benefit. This perk offers 1 round-trip, Main Cabin companion ticket per year after you pay your annual fee.
You’re responsible for paying the taxes and fees on the companion ticket. The companion ticket is valid for L, U, T, X, and V classes of service only (these letters refer to different levels of economy fares). Both the first ticket and the fees for the second ticket must be charged to your Delta SkyMiles card.
Delta Reserve Credit Cards [Personal and Business]
If you have either of the Delta Reserve card or the Delta Reserve Business card, you’re eligible for 1 round-trip, Main Cabin, Comfort+, or First Class companion ticket per year after you pay your annual fee.
You’re responsible for paying the taxes and fees on the companion ticket. The companion ticket is valid for L, U, T, X, and V classes of service (economy), I and Z classes of service (first class), and W class (Delta Comfort+ ).
Both the first ticket and the fees for the second ticket must be charged to your Delta Reserve American Express card.
How to Use the Delta Companion Certificate
Your Delta Companion Certificate can only be used on Delta.com; it can’t be used on Delta flights that are purchased on any other website.
Once you’re logged in to your account, you’ll be able to see your companion ticket in the My Wallet section.
From there, you can select your companion pass then search for flights as you normally would. The system should automatically filter out the flights that aren’t eligible for a companion pass ticket.
There isn’t a price limit to the ticket you can purchase with your Delta companion certificate. So, the higher the price of the ticket, the more value you get from this perk.
Let’s say you and a friend want to travel from New York to Los Angeles for a long weekend, but the tickets are $500 each. While you might not want to spend $1,000 for this trip, with the Delta Companion Certificate, you can purchase both tickets for just $500 (plus the taxes and fees on the second ticket).
You can easily get hundreds of dollars of value from this 1 perk!
Hot Tip: On any itinerary, the primary, paid ticket is eligible to earn Delta SkyMiles, but the companion ticket is not.
The Delta Companion Certificate is a great deal. This perk allows you to buy a second seat on a Delta flight for the price of the taxes and fees. That means you and your companion can fly for essentially the price of just 1 ticket!