Edited by: Kellie Jez
How to Find the 70k Welcome Bonus Offer for the Delta Gold Credit Card [Current Public Offer is 40k]
- Benefits of the Delta Gold Card
- How to Find the 70k Delta Gold Card Welcome Offer
- Reasons You May Not Be Able to Get an Elevated Welcome Offer
- Final Thoughts
We may be compensated when you click on product links, such as credit cards, from one or more of our advertising partners. Terms apply to the offers below. See our Advertising Policy for more about our partners, how we make money, and our rating methodology. Opinions and recommendations are ours alone.
The Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express card is a great option for those that fly semi-frequently with Delta Air Lines and want a card that offers perks with the airline.
The Delta Gold card has a welcome offer that fluctuates! So, if you’re interested in the Delta Gold card, and you want the biggest bonus possible, here is how you can get it.
Benefits of the Delta Gold Card
Before we discuss how to get a high welcome offer, you might be wondering if the Delta Gold card is even a good option for you. The Delta Gold card essentially mimics low-level elite status with Delta — without needing to fly with the airline frequently, or at all.
- The first checked bag is free on all Delta-marketed and Delta-operated flights for you and up to 8 others on the same reservation.
- Priority boarding in the Main Cabin 1 boarding group on flights operated by Delta and Delta Connection. This benefit also applies to up to 8 traveling companions on the same reservation.
- 20% back on inflight purchases when you use your card on items like food and beverages.
- $100 Delta flight credit when you make $10,000 in purchases with the card in a calendar year.
- Car Rental Coverage: When you rent a car, decline the rental providers’ collision damage waiver, and pay for the entire rental with your card, you will have insurance coverage if the vehicle is lost or stolen.
- Purchase Protection: In the case of accidental damage or theft, purchase protection can refund eligible purchases charged to your card. The benefit has a limit of $1,000 per occurrence and $50,000 per calendar year.
- Extended Warranty: When using your card to make a purchase, the warranty of the item purchased will be automatically matched and extended by up to 1 year. The coverage has a limit of $10,000 per item and $50,000 per calendar year.
How to Find the 70k Delta Gold Card Welcome Offer
While the historically offered public bonus isn’t bad, per se, you can often do much better! Here are some steps you can take to help locate a higher welcome offer on the Delta Gold card.
Targeted offers are discussed in the article below. Please note that these offers are not available to all applicants. Any information related to targeted offers has been collected independently and has not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Increased Public Welcome Offer
One of the more common ways to get an elevated welcome is also the easiest, and that is when American Express runs a limited-time increased welcome offer on the card.
Terms Apply / Rates & Fees
Learn More(at Amex's secure site)
This card provides bonus SkyMiles on all purchases, along with a free bag, priority boarding, and discounted award flights.
Apply With Confidence
Know if you're approved with no credit score impact
If you're approved and accept this Card, your credit score may be impacted.
Earn 40,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months.
$0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $99.
Good to Excellent (670-850)
Upgraded Points credit ranges are a variation of FICO®Score 8, one of many types of credit scores lenders may use when considering your credit cardapplication.
Frequent Delta flyers will love the Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card. The card offers great benefits that will help save you money, effectively mimics low-level elite status with Delta SkyMiles, and helps you earn miles even faster, all for a low annual fee. Let’s dive into the benefits to see if the Delta Gold card is a good fit for your needs.
- New: Card Members get 15% off when using miles to book Award Travel on Delta flights through delta.com and the Fly Delta app. Discount not applicable to partner-operated flights or to taxes and fees.
- Bonus earning on Delta purchases and U.S. supermarket and worldwide restaurant purchases
- First checked bag free on Delta flights
- 20% back on inflight purchases
- Moderate annual fee
- Earn rate for Delta flights is relatively low compared to other travel cards
- Earn 40,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months.
- Enjoy a $0 introductory Annual Fee for the first year, then $99.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Card Members get 15% off when using miles to book Award Travel on Delta flights through delta.com and the Fly Delta app. Discount not applicable to partner-operated flights or to taxes and fees.
- Earn 2X Miles on Delta purchases, at U.S. Supermarkets and at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery in the U.S.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- $100 Delta Flight Credit: After you spend $10,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, receive a Credit to use toward future travel.
- Want even more flexibility? Take up to $50 off the cost of your flight for every 5,000 miles you redeem with Pay with Miles when you book on delta.com.
- Receive a 20% savings in the form of a statement credit on eligible Delta in-flight purchases after using your Card.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- With Send & Split®, you can send money and split your Card purchases with any other Venmo or PayPal user, directly from the Amex App. Enroll today.
- Terms Apply.
An increased public welcome offer is usually for a limited time only, so these offers come and go through the course of the year. There are other ways, though, that you can use to try and track down larger offers. So let’s take a look a those.
CardMatch allows you to see offers from a variety of banking partners. Many larger U.S. banks, including American Express and Chase, publish their targeted offers to CardMatch.
CardMatch also shows you pre-qualified offers. These are cards that you’ll likely be approved for. While this approval isn’t guaranteed, a bank is more likely to approve you for the card than a standard person applying for the card through its website.
Your credit will not get a hard pull when using CardMatch. The information you give is simply used to match you to an eligible offer; this is information like:
- Full Name
- Last 4 digits of your Social Security number
Hot Tip: For a step-by-step guide on how to get personalized offers through CardMatch, explore our detailed guide on CardMatch.
Targeted Offers at the Delta/American Express Website
Delta and American Express actually have a dedicated landing page where SkyMiles members can check to see if they are targeted for increased welcome offers. Here is how you can check:
Step 1: Sign-Up for a Delta SkyMiles account
If you don’t already have a SkyMiles account you will need one, as it is impossible to check for a targeted offer on the webpage without one.
To sign-up, visit the Delta SkyMiles enrollment website.
Step 2: Visit the Delta/Amex Website to See If You’re Targeted for Any Increased Offers
Head to the Delta/American Express landing page, then enter your SkyMiles number and your last name to see if your account is targeted for any increased welcome offers.
Step 3: Review Your Offers
After you have entered the necessary information and clicked View My Offer, the page will load any targeted offers that you have associated with your SkyMiles number.
On the other hand, if the page says “Please Verify The Information You Entered Is Correct And Try Again” it means your account has not been targeted for any increased welcome offers at this time.
Targeted Mailings From American Express
Another option for an increased offer is by receiving a targeted mailer from American Express. However, to receive these offers, you first need to opt-in to receive mail communications from American Express.
To do this, visit the communications preferences in your American Express account and make sure you’ve enabled communication via mail.
Check for Pre-Qualified Offers With American Express
A final way to help locate an increased welcome offer is to check for any pre-qualified offers with American Express.
To do this you will need to head to americanexpress.com, click Cards, then Check for Pre-Qualified Credit Card Offers. This will populate a page of targeted card offers, if any, from a pool of all of the personal credit cards offered from American Express.
Reasons You May Not Be Able to Get an Elevated Welcome Offer
The Current Public Offer Is Not an Increased Offer
This one is pretty self-explanatory, but if American Express is not currently running a public increased welcome offer, then locating one becomes more difficult.
In this case, you may need to rely on being targeted, using CardMatch, or waiting for the higher public offer to return.
If you have a low credit score, not only are you less likely to receive targeted offers from credit issuers, but you likely will have a difficult time even being approved for the card in the first place — regardless of what the welcome offer is.
If this is your situation, you should first focus on improving your credit score. Always use your credit responsibly, don’t overspend, and make sure to pay your bills in full and on time each month.
You’ve Opted out of Marketing Offers
Simply put, if you have not opted in to receive marketing offers from American Express, then they can’t send them to you! This might be a good thing you’re trying to cut down on snail mail, but not if you’re always on the hunt for the best bonus possible — so make sure you’ve opted in!
The Delta Gold card comes with many great perks that can be especially helpful for frequent Delta flyers. So, if you fly with Delta with some regularity, the Delta Gold card is worth adding to your wallet.
Of course, if you’re going to add the Delta Gold card to your wallet, you’re going to want to make sure you’re getting the best deal possible. So, if the current public offer isn’t an increased offer, it might be worth waiting until a higher offer is available, or for you to receive a targeted offer.
For rates and fees of the Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card, click here.
Featured Image Credit: Stella Shon
Frequently Asked Questions
How much are Delta SkyMiles worth?
At Upgraded Points, we value Delta SkyMiles at 1 cent per point. This does not mean that 1 cent per is the most value you can receive out of your SkyMiles — quite the contrary. Let this figure serve as a benchmark of the value you should be receiving when redeeming.
How many Delta SkyMiles are needed for a free flight?
Since Delta no longer publishes an award chart, the number of miles needed for a flight can vary. Check out the SkyMiles deals page for great discounts on award flights on both domestic and international destinations!
Do Delta SkyMiles expire?
As long as your account remains open, your Delta SkyMiles will never expire.
How can I create a Delta SkyMiles account?
Was this page helpful?