Emirates baggage policy can be a bit confusing when it comes to their allowance for carry-on items, using the word “handbag” instead of “standard carry-on bag” or “overhead bag”. These “handbags” however, carry the same size restrictions we usually find allotted for a standard carry-on bag.
Additionally, we have presented the information on maximum weight & size allowances for your baggage (which is highly variable depending on the base fare) but Emirates requires the use of their online Baggage Calculator Tool to find out your exact costs.
Emirates Carry-On Allowance:
First & Business Class:
- customers are permitted two pieces of carry-on baggage – one briefcase plus either one handbag or one garment bag.
- The briefcase may not exceed 45 x 35 x 20 cm (18 x 14 x 8 in.)
- The handbag may not exceed 55 x 38 x 20 cm (22 x 15 x 8 in.)
- The garment bag can be no more than 20 cm (8 in.) thick when folded.
- The weight of each piece must not exceed 7 kg (15 lbs).
- customers are permitted one piece of carry-on baggage, either a handbag or laptop bag
- either may not exceed 55 x 38 x 20 cm (22 x 15 x 8 in.)
- must weigh no more than 7 kg (15 lbs)
Lap Infant Carry-On Policy
- customers traveling with infants are permitted to bring one carry-cot or fully collapsible stroller into the cabin if there is room.
- If there is no space for these items in the cabin, they will have to be checked. However, if checked, they will not count against your baggage allowance
Stroller Check Policy
- Emirates suggests checking your stoller in at the ticket counter and provides families with a complimentary baby stroller (or twin stroller), to help you travel through the airport.
Emirates Checked Baggage Allowance:
Emirates utilizes an online baggage calculator tool in order to calculate baggage allowance. You can find that tool here.
Max Weight per Bag
To/From North America/ Canada
- Economy: 23kg
- Business & First: 32kg
Outside of the Americas
- Special: 20kg
- Saver: 30kg
- Flex: 30kg
- Flex Plus: 35kg
- Business (all fares): 40kg
- First (all fares): 50kg
* You can check as many pieces of baggage as you need, as long as the total weight is less than the maximum baggage allowance of your class. (not to exceed 32kg per piece)
Max Size per Bag
To/From North America/Canada/South America and from Africa:
- The total max linear dimensions of each piece must not exceed 150 cm (59 inches).
- If you check two pieces of luggage (in any of our three classes), the total combined dimensions of both pieces cannot exceed 300 cm (118 inches).
Outside of the Americas:
- The total max linear dimensions must not exceed 300 cm (118 inches). If exceeding this size, it can’t be checked as baggage and will need to be sent as cargo or freight. There are no exceptions to this rule.
Lap Infant Checked Bag Policy:
- Passengers traveling with infants (under two years of age) on any route not including North, Central, or South America may check up to 10 kg (22 lbs) of baggage for the infant. This baggage allowance will be shown on the infant’s ticket.
- Passengers traveling with infants (under two years of age) on any route that includes North, Central, or South America may check one piece of baggage for the infant, regardless of cabin class. This baggage allowance will be shown on the infant’s ticket. This piece must weigh 23 kg (50 lbs) or less and have total dimensions (length + width + height) not exceeding 115 cm (45 in).
Additional / Excess Baggage Fees:
Overweight Fee: Allowances vary depending on class of travel, your fare type and Emirates Skywards and Qantas Frequent Flyer membership tier.
Oversized Fee: Allowances vary depending on class of travel, your fare type and Emirates Skywards and Qantas Frequent Flyer membership tier.
Again, Emirates utilizes an online baggage calculator tool in order to calculate baggage allowance including fees for excess and overweight/ oversized baggage. You can find that tool here.
For all other special baggage information, see Emirate’s policy here.
Credit Cards That Reimburse You For Checked Bag Fees
If you are checking bags on an Emirates flight, one of the cards below can reimburse you for some, if not all, of those fees.
|Credit Card||Fee Reimbursement Details|
|Chase Sapphire Reserve®||$300 travel credit per calendar year (covers all travel related purchases). Annual Fee: $450|
|Citi® Prestige Card||$250 air travel credit per calendar year (covers all travel related purchases). Annual Fee: $450|
Exclusions & Waivers:
- Silver members are entitled to a guaranteed excess baggage allowance of 12 kg above the ticketed limit for a particular cabin class.
- Gold members are guaranteed 16 kg above the ticketed limit and Platinum members are guaranteed 20 kg above the ticketed limit.
However, please note the following:
- The maximum weight per checked-in item of luggage is 32 kg on all cross-Atlantic flights
- Economy Class baggage to the US cannot weigh more than 23 kg or 50 lb per item.
- Maximum weight limits per bag may vary in accordance with differing international airport regulations.
- Excess baggage privileges do not apply to cabin baggage or on flights in which the baggage allowance is given as ‘number of luggage items’, instead of kilograms.