The U.S. Passport Renewal and Special Cases Guide


We may be compensated when you click on links from one or more of our advertising partners. Opinions and recommendations are ours alone. Terms apply to offers below. See our Advertiser Disclosure for more details.

Renewing your passport can be an overwhelming process since you likely received your password five or 10 years ago. If your passport is up for renewal or you’ve had a special change with your passport, here’s how to get it done.

If you are wanting to know how to get your first passport, please see our definitive guide for getting your first U.S. passport.

In this guide you will learn about how to renew your passport and more:

  • U.S. Passport Renewal
    • The differences between renewal and first time applications
    • The requirements and the information needed for renewal
    • The time it takes and how much it costs
    • Passport card renewal, tips, and more
  • Special Cases
    • Name changes or corrections and adding pages
    • Children ages 16 and 17 and under the age of 16
    • Life or Death Emergencies
    • Lost or Stolen passports, replacing limited validity passports
    • Returning of a surrendered passport and renewing outside the country

The Difference Between U.S. Passport Renewal and First Time Applications

The difference is fairly simple: if you already have a passport and meet the renewal requirements, you can renew your passport by mail instead of in person.

In fact, these are the only two options for getting a passport in any case.

Note that renewing your passport will cause any travel visas you have to be nullified, so plan your trips accordingly!

Hot Tip: For more info on visa requirements, check out our piece: Do I Need a Visa? 100+ Countries with Tourist Visa Requirements for U.S. Citizens

Online Passport Application Form

Unfortunately, if you were looking for passport renewal online then you are out of luck. You can fill out the renewal form itself online, but the form must be printed and mailed.

To renew, you will need to:

Note: There are trusted Government Registered passport courier services that expedite passport renewals in as little as 24 hours.

The Requirements

If you want to be eligible for the mail renewal, then you must meet a few requirements. Luckily, the information will not be as extensive as it was when you applied for your first passport.

  • You must have your old passport, and it must be undamaged
  • Your previous passport must have been issued when you were 16 years-of-age or older
  • You must have been issued the passport within the last 15 years (you can renew an expire passport by mail as long as it has only been expired 5 years)
  • Your name has not changed (see the passport name change section for an exception)

If you do not meet the above requirements, you must renew your passport in person.

Providing an Updated Passport Photo

You must submit an updated passport photo of yourself from within the last 6 months. The full requirements are on the U.S. State Department’s website, which also includes tips on places to obtain photos.

In general, the photo must be a color 2”×2” photo in your normal clothes. You can typically have these photos taken at nationwide pharmacies and larger retailers like Walmart and Target, or you can take your own photo at home.

Photos cost between $6-15. However, unlike before, where you may not have stapled your photo to the application, you must staple one photo to the form.

To staple the photo to DS-82, staple only vertically in the corners and as close to the outer edge as possible. The following photo demonstrates the technique:

Passport Photo With Staples
Once you take that new passport photo, be sure to only staple it with vertical staples in the corners as shown or you’ll have to send in a new photo! Image Credit: Ekaterina_Minaeva via

US Passport Renewal Processing Time

Unfortunately, there is no change in processing times between getting a renewal and getting a first-time passport. The estimated times are:

  • Standard Renewals: 4 to 6 weeks
  • Expedited Renewals: 3 weeks
  • Passport Agency Expedite: Up to 8 business days

Note that while you don’t have to renew your passport at any specific time (i.e. before or after it expires), you should be cognizant of the time it will take for renewal when planning your trips.

See the Renewal Tips section for more information or if you’re specifically interested in information related to expedited passports, see our Guide to Expedited U.S. Passport Applications.

Validity Period for Renewed Passports

Renewed passports have the same length of validity as original passports.

  • If you are 16 years-of-age or older when you get your passport renewed, it will be valid for 10 years.
  • If you are 15 years-of-age or younger, your passport will be valid for 5 years.

Your passport validity period restarts at the time of renewal. Therefore, if you renew your passport at 9 years (1 year of validity left), your passport will be good for 10 and not 11 more years. This is the reason why you don’t want to renew too early.

Fees for Adults

Finally, a place where you have an advantage! When renewing your passport (using form DS-82), you will NOT be required to pay the $25 execution fee.

You do, however, still have to pay for the passport, card, or both:

Applying For:Application Fee (Adults):
Passport Book$110
Passport Card$30
Passport Book + Card$140

You can still apply for an expedited renewal ($60) and overnight delivery ($14.85) if time is of the essence.

Paying the passport renewal fee by mail requires using ONLY a check or money order. Unfortunately, you cannot use a credit card or cash.

See the applicable special cases section for information on fees.

Mailing in the Passport Renewal Application

Once you have gathered all necessary items and completed the necessary paperwork, you will need to put it together to be mailed. There are a few things to note when sending in your forms and information.

  • There is a different mailing address for expedited service versus normal service
  • It is strongly recommended to use a large envelope rather than a normal business letter envelope; this helps protect your forms and also makes it easier to ship your info
  • It is strongly recommended to use a trackable delivery method

Therefore, it is probably in your best interest to take your application forms to your local USPS, UPS, or FedEx store and have them help you choose the right size envelope. This also allows you to order the trackable packaging.

The applicable addresses are as follows:

Standard ServicesExpedited Services
National Passport Processing CenterNational Passport Processing Center
Post Office Box 90155Post Office Box 90955
Philadelphia, PA 19190-0955Philadelphia, PA 19190-0955

Hot Tip: Earn a few extra points with shipping when you use an appropriate business credit card. An example is The American Express Business Gold Card.

What Happens to My Old Passport?

For those of you worried about what happens to your old passport, don’t worry, you get it back!

Many people like their old passports for nostalgia’s sake. It’s quite fun to be able to look back at all the various places you have been and see the stamps, some of which are quite neat.

Your old passport will be sent back, but separately from your new passport so don’t worry when they don’t arrive together.

Special Cases in Passports and Renewals

Certainly, not everyone falls under the “normal” category when discussing passports.

There are a number of special cases to consider:

  • Passport Card Renewal
  • Name Change or Correction
  • Child Support Payers
  • Children/Minors Ages 16 and 17
  • Children 15 Years of Age and Younger
  • No-fee Passports
  • Life or Death Situations
  • Adding Pages to Your Book
  • Lost or Stolen
  • Replace a Limited Validity Passport
  • Returning of a Surrendered Passport
  • Renewing Outside the Country

Renewing a Passport Card

You may renew a passport card by mail if you meet the above requirements as well. In fact, you may apply and receive a passport card by mail if you already have your passport and meet the above requirements.

Simply follow the procedure above while selecting to renew (or obtain) your passport card versus passport booklet. Your passport card will be valid for 10 years from the date of issue and costs $30.

Be sure to check the box to get a Passport Card when you are sending in your application for a card! You can also get both of them at the same time. Image Credit: Daniel M. Earnest via

Passport Name Change or Correction

Name changes are probably the most common special case given names can change due to marriage, divorce, or other reasons.

However, this process also is applicable for any corrections, such as being issued with a misspelling or other error in data.

For legal name changes, there are two cases: (1) Your passport was issued more than a year ago, or (2) Your passport was issued within the past year.

Passports Issued More Than One Year Ago

If its case two, unfortunately, you will have to resubmit form DS-82 as if it were a U.S. passport renewal.

You can do this at any time during the validity of your passport, however, note that if you are traveling you will need to do this as soon as possible in order to ensure you are not stopped.

You must be able to document your name change with a legal original or certified copy of a marriage certificate or other government-issued document of the change of name.

If you are not eligible to use form DS-82 due to not having your old passport or due to damage, you cannot submit the legal documentation, or you had your passport issued over 15 years ago, then you must apply in person using the original DS-11.

When using the DS-11 method, you will not need to provide proof of your name change if you already have another government ID issued with your new name. You must include your marriage details, however.

Just Married Couple
If you are recently married and changed your name, you will need to make sure to update your passport ASAP because you won’t be able to travel internationally without all your documents matching! Image Credit: Jack Frog via

Passports Issued Less Than One Year Ago

If you are lucky enough to have case one, or if you need to make any general corrections, you may use form DS-5504 instead of DS-82 and you will not be charged a fee.

Note: general corrections can be made at any time using DS-5504.

Final Name Change Notes

All forms require you to send in your current passport and your legal documentation of your name change.

In either case, a name change requires fees if using DS-11 or DS-82 (see the applicable fees for normal applications for renewals). If you are eligible to use DS-5504, you will not be charged.

Child Support Payers

This is an important note for those who pay child support: if you owe $2,500 or more in child support, you cannot receive a U.S. passport.

The U.S. Department of HHS has a list of what will prevent your application from being processed.

Be sure to stay up to date in order to continue getting passport privileges.

Passports for Children/Minors Ages 16 and 17

Because at this age children are still technically children and not legally adults, there are special rules for getting a passport at this age.

Renewing a U.S. passport for a child generally requires you to apply in person using form DS-11. This is because one of the requirements to use DS-82 is that you must have been issued a passport at age 16 or above.

However, this does mean that if you want to renew a child’s passport by mail, you can technically do so if your child’s passport was issued after the age of 16 and the child is now 17 years old.

Applying Alone as a 16 or 17-Year-Old

At 16 or 17 years-of-age, you can apply for your passport by yourself as long as you have the proper identification and accompanying information (i.e. evidence of U.S. Citizenship).

If you don’t have your own identification, you will need to have a parent present that can identify you. Even if the child can apply on their own, it is recommended they have Parental Consent or Parental Awareness when applying.

This is simply having at least one parent accompanying the child, or having a signed statement of consent to the issuance of a passport along with a photocopy of that parent’s ID.

The appropriate fees apply to those ages 16 and up, depending on if you are using the DS-11 (first time applicant) or the DS-82 (renewal, special case).

That is $140 for a book and a card, $110 for just the book, and $30 from the card. A $25 execution fee applies to the DS-11.

Passports for Children 15 and Younger

Regardless of having a previous passport, all minors under 16 must apply for their updated child passport in person as if it was their first, following all of the applicable rules.

This will be with forms DS-11 and DS-3053 or DS-5525. The same fees apply each time.

Young Child Getting Passport
If you want to get your child a passport (under 16 years old), then you’ll have to apply in person for it and its validity is only 5 years versus 10 years. Image Credit: Ponzakov via

Obtaining No-fee Passports

If you’ve heard of a no-fee passport, you may be wondering if you can get one!

There are only very specific people that are eligible for a no-fee passport:

  • You are a U.S. Government employee who is traveling abroad on behalf of the U.S.
  • You are a dependent of someone traveling abroad for the U.S. Government and will travel with them
  • You are an American Seaman who requires a passport in connection with duties on a U.S. vessel
  • You are an immediate relative of a deceased member of the military and are going abroad to visit the grave or attend a funeral or memorial service
  • There may be additional exceptions on a special basis

Depending on what circumstance applies to you, you will need to contact the appropriate agency that you are part of and they will direct you from there.

It is of note that you can only use this passport when traveling for official duties. You may have both a regular and a no-fee passport concurrently.

Emergency Passports: Life or Death Situations

In instances where expediting of the passport is not enough, and it is a life or death emergency, you must call the passport information center during business hours at +1-877-487-2778.

During off hours, you may call +1-202-647-4000.

If you are located outside the US, you must contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

Adding Pages to Your Book

You cannot add additional pages to your passport book. Instead, you must apply for an entirely new passport. You can do this as a renewal using DS-82 if you meet the eligibility requirements discussed above.

Lost or Stolen Passport

If you lose your passport or it is stolen, you should report it immediately. This helps prevent identity theft.

Here is one thing you can do online! Submit DS-64 online for your lost passport.

You will receive an email acknowledging the submittal and, within a couple of days, you will receive confirmation that the loss was entered into the appropriate database.

In lieu of submitting the passport online, you can call +1-877-487-2778 or complete form DS-64 by hand and mail it.

If you find a lost passport, you may mail it back to the U.S. State Department, in a sturdy envelope, to the one of the following addresses:

Address 1:Address 2:
ATTN: CLASPU.S. Department of State
U.S. Department of StateLaw Enforcement Liaison Division
CA/PPT/S/L/LEConsular Lost and Stolen Passport Unit (CLASP)
4th FloorCA/PPT/S/L/LE/CP
1150 Passport Services PL44132 Mercure Circle
Dulles, VA 20189-1150PO Box 1227
Sterling, VA 20166-1227

Once your passport is reported lost or stolen or is received by someone sending in a found passport, it will be inactivated and can no longer be used.

Therefore, if you find your passport after it has been reported lost, you need to submit it to the address on the back of DS-64.

If you request it, they will cancel the passport and send it back to you. Otherwise, the passport will be destroyed. The passport also will not be able to be used to renew or apply for a new passport.

To apply for a new passport, you must go in person and submit form DS-11 and provide your proof of citizenship again.

Replace a Limited Validity Passport

A limited validity passport is one whose validity date is less 10 years, and is likely provided for special instances, such as losing your passport overseas.

If your limited validity passport was issued less than one year ago, you will not have to pay any fees except in the case of expediting. Submit DS-5504 by mail with your passport and a new passport photo.

If it was more than one year ago and less than 15 years ago, you may submit DS-82 by mail per the normal renewal application process.

Other special cases may be gender transitions or naturalization certificate replacements. See the website for additional information.

Returning of a Surrendered Passport

Sometimes, you may be required to surrender a passport due to a special reason. If you want it returned, you must follow the steps on this page.

Renewing a Passport Outside the U.S.

To renew your U.S. passport outside the United States, you must use the same process as when you first applied for the passport. This means finding and renewing at the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

However, if you reside in Canada, you may utilize the same renewal process as inside the U.S. and use form DS-82. You must ensure that payments draw from U.S. financial institutions.

US Embassy Entrance
If you live in Canada, you can still apply for an American Passport renewal using form DS-82. You have to draw payments from a U.S. financial institution, however. Image Credit: David P. Lewis via

Tips and Facts

Here are a few tips and facts about passports that you may not have known:

You can technically renew your passport at any time during its validity period. The new validity will be 10 years from whenever you are issued your new passport.

Your passport will be sent back Priority Mail so that there is delivery confirmation unless you choose overnight delivery. Your passport card is sent via First Class Mail and cannot be overnighted.

Important Validity Grace Period Requirements for Travel

Some countries do not allow you to enter into their country if you have less than 6 months remaining on your passport.

Therefore, it is smart to plan ahead and get your passport renewed when you’re about a year out so that you have plenty of time to get it done.

Nothing would be worse than flying somewhere and planning a trip, only to be stopped at the border control and turned around and sent home. Some notable countries with the 6-month validity rule are:

  • Mexico
  • The Bahamas and Jamaica
  • China and Taiwan

Having Enough Passport Pages

If you know you’ll be traveling more in the next 10 years, you may want to renew with a 52 page book instead of the standard 28 pager. You’ll just need to select the appropriate box on the DS-82 form.

Some airlines and countries will not allow you to travel if you have less than 2-4 blank pages.

Damaged Passport Requirements

If your passport has been significantly damaged, you will need to apply for a new one. This includes water damage, tears, unofficial markings on the data page, missing (torn) pages, punches, and more.

You will need to reapply for a new passport using DS-11 and apply in person, and provide all required documentation as well as the damaged passport.

Other Passport Special Cases

If a loved one has passed away, you may submit their passport for cancellation by mailing it in.

If your passport has been reported as being sent out in the passport application status system, and you have not received it, you should report it the National Passport Information Center.

If not reported within 90 days the passport was officially issued, then you will be required to reapply and pay all the applicable fees.

If you’re using a passport card for expedited travel from Canada or Mexico, everyone in your car over the age of 16 must have an RFID-enabled card.

Final Thoughts

The passport renewal form is DS-82. You must already have a current passport and meet other requirements to use this form.

There is no passport application online at this time; you must instead print and fill out the passport renewal forms and either take them in person or send in by mail.

Before Your Next Trip

You’ve got your passport renewed or changed! Now, grab your travel rewards cards and get ready for another trip. The following links will help you get started.

Like this Post? Pin it on Pinterest!

Passport Renewal & Special Cases

Frequently asked questions

What information do I need to renew my U.S. passport?

You must have your old passport (it must not be damaged), a new passport photo, and the appropriate form. If you are renewing to change your name, you must also submit legal documentation proving your name change.

How do I get or renew a U.S. passport online?

Unfortunately, there is no U.S. online passport application at this time. Passport renewal forms can only be submitted in person or via mail (depending on the form). Online passport renewal may be offered in the future.

How do you get a U.S. passport for a child or minor?

The U.S. passport application for minors is different depending on your age. If a child is under the age of 16, both parents must be present and you must apply in person using form DS-11 and DS-3053 or DS-5525.

If the child is of age 16 or 17, they can apply in person themselves if they can provide their own documentation and identification.

How long does it take to get a U.S. passport renewed?

Passport application renewal takes the same amount of time as a regular passport takes. Approximately 4-6 weeks for a standard service, 3 weeks for expedited service, or up to 8 days for agency expediting.

How much does it cost to get a U.S. passport renewed?

Passport application renewal costs the same amount as a regular passport, whether you are a minor or an adult. However, you don’t have the pay the $25 execution fee again.

What is my U.S. passport renewal application status?

You may check your passport application status on the Department of States website. This is the same website you used to check your original passport application status.

How long are renewed passports good for?

The validity period for renewed passports is the same as it was for your original passport.

An adult passport (above age 16) is good for 10 years from the date of issue. A minor passport (age 15 and below) is good for 5 years from the date of issue.

What forms do I use for passport renewal?

If you are eligible, you may use form DS-82 and send in your renewal application by mail. If you are not eligible to send in the application by mail, you must use form DS-11 and apply in person.

If you are making a change or correction, you may use form DS-5504. If you are a minor under the age of 16, you must also use form DS-3053 or DS-5525.

How do I renew my passport card?

Your passport card may be renewed by mail using form DS-82 if you already have a valid passport. You may also use this form to obtain your first U.S. passport card as well.

How do I replace a lost or stolen passport?

Lost or stolen passports must be reapplied for in person using form DS-11. You must provide proof of citizenship and pay the applicable fees, including the $25 execution fee.

Alex Miller

About Alex Miller

Alex has been traveling for over 25 years and from a young age was lucky enough to set out on numerous family trips all over the world, which gave him the travel bug. Alex has since earned millions of travel points and miles, mainly through maximizing credit card sign-up bonuses and taking every opportunity to earn the most points possible on each dollar spent.

Travel prices are about to surge from pent-up demand.

Use this points strategy to lock in pennies-on-the-dollar pricing in 2021, all without being a frequent flyer...

How do I only pay $30 to go to Hawaii, $200 for business class to Asia or just $150 to Europe?

Discover the real-life strategies that anyone can use to enjoy limitless travel (even on a limited budget!)

Just sign up below and I’ll send you the Limitless Travel Playbook instantly:

We respect your privacy. Please view our privacy policy here.

Disclaimer: Any comments listed below are not from the bank advertiser, nor have they been reviewed or approved by them. No responsibility will be taken by the bank advertiser for these comments.


  1. Bryan Lombardi January 23, 2019

    FYI – one of your links appears to be outdated.
    Under: “Online Passport Application Form”
    The link sends to a page that reads: “The page you’re looking for may have been moved or renamed” (though it’s still linking to a general State Department site).

    Using their search filter I found the following:

    I think this is where you wanted to link.

    Either way, appreciate your site. All seems accurate. I would point out that all of the same information seems to be available directly from the State Department. Not a big deal, as long as you’re accurate. So, thank you for getting me going in the right direction.


  2. Seva L Lara April 9, 2019

    Under your FAQs, you state passports will be delivered by priority mail but you don’t state whether the post office will go ahead and deliver them if you are not at home to sign for them?


    • Hello Seva. I do not know if this is always true but I can tell you that my own passport was delivered by priority mail and I did not have to sign for it.


      • Will they deliver them to your home address or do you have to have it delivered to a PO Box?


        • Hi Brittney. I know they will deliver to home address because I received mine there. Also, the application allows for you to give a P.O. Box, RFD #, or street address as your mailing address. There is another section for your actual permanent address.


  3. Hello, I am located in Mexico and I do hold a tourist passport 15+ years for me/family. I have been offered work with a company in Texas as a diesel mechanic but want to do things legally to be working with a work permit. What would be the best choice for me and what’s the time frame on obtaining a work permit?? Thanks


    • Hi Gonzalo. You are correct, a tourist passport is different from a work permit. You will need to either obtain a permanent resident card, a work permit, or a employment-related visa in order to legally work in the U.S. We are Upgraded Points, a website that publishes points and miles based articles as well as additional travel related posts like this guide to passport renewal. That being said, I don’t believe we are your best resource to answer your questions.

      I would recommend you start your search on the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website which has detailed information –


  4. Confusion with no clear answer:
    I want to renew / replace my passport and passport card — both expire August 2019. I have my passport card but the passport itself is lost in my house or storage somewhere. Can I submit form DS 82 with my passport-card and include form DS 64 (statement of lost passport) AND STILL SUBMIT BY MAIL? The USPS rep stated I can do this without having to go in person. I’m looking for clarification before sending it in so I don’t get rejected and lose down time


    • Hi Marc,

      It seems like you have a few questions – first, you’ve lost your passport. In order to renew it, you’ll need to also complete the Form DS-11. This is the application form for a U.S. Passport if you don’t have a valid passport currently. You will need to submit this form in person to a passport agency. Here is more information on where to make your appointment:

      Second, you want to renew your passport card. This is probably what the USPS individual was referring to – you can send this via mail, but you could also do this in person at the same time you’re applying for your passport card.

      Thanks for reading!


      • Thanks so much for your response, Christy. I just got off the phone with the US Passport Office and I do not have to go in person and pay an extra processing fee for renewal. I can renew by mail because even though I can’t find my passport book, the passport-card can be sent in with Form DS 82 as it contains all of my passport info. So it paid to have that Passport Card in order to not have to go in person and have to pay the extra $35 processing fee.


        • Great news Marc. I wasn’t aware that you could do this as there isn’t much guidance for this particular instance found on their site. Glad you were able to get it all sorted out though.

          Thanks for following back up as well in case any of our readers are in a similar position!


  5. Hi, I just renewed my passport in person (I live in Norway) and am waiting for the new passport to come by mail. Do I need to send in my old passport to be canceled? (Because I already brought it with me when I came in person.) Will the old one be in my way of using the new one for travel?


    • Hi Minken, typically when renewing a passport, the old was is taken back and cancelled. It doesn’t sound like this was the case for you.

      We would definitely recommend contacting the U.S. Department of State directly to confirm how to proceed. The contact information can be found here:


    • Hi Minken,

      No, you do not need to send your old passport in. It’s best you hold onto it in a safe place as even old passports can be used as proof of U.S. citizenship.

      Thanks for reading!


      • I just don’t want to be stopped at the border because there’s something wrong/not completely right with my passport history.


        • Hi Minken,

          There is nothing wrong with keeping your old passport. Many people keep them to look back on the various stamps they’ve accumulated. You will definitely not be stoped at the border for that.

          Thanks for reading!


  6. Hi, what does it really even mean that the old passport is canceled? Does that mean that somehow the new one isn’t 100% functional until the old one is canceled?


    • Hi Minken, no – your new one is fully functional when you receive it. As far as the specifics, we can’t speak to this which is why we suggested contacting the U.S. Department of State. At a high level, they will mark your old passport as cancelled in the relevant databases and the document will no longer be valid for travel. In my case, it’s always been hole punched. Hope this helps!


  7. Bianca Splinter September 9, 2019

    I have a question not addressed previously.
    My passport expires on April 5, 2020. In October I will be visiting Germany and taking a cruise from Prague to Budapest returning on November 4, 2020. Since the validity on my passport is less than 6 months, how and where can I get it extended, rather than renewed.
    I live in California. I also have a Global Entry Pass good through 2023.


    • Hi Bianca, there isn’t an option to extend a passport – you would simply be applying for a renewal following the steps above. You can apply for a renewal before your passport expires though, so this is definitely what we would recommend doing if you have time to do so.

      Once your passport is renewed, be sure to update the Trusted Traveler profile associated with your Global Entry account to ensure everything matches up.

      Thanks for reading!


  8. Hello, I read all the requirement and process to renew my child passport. My son was issued a passport when he was six months old and it is time for me to renew his passport as he is six years and half now. My question is, can I just go to the post office and do it like first time since he is not eligible for the mail renewal? Thanks for your time and help.


  9. Hi

    I intend on renewing my existing passport. I also would like to get a passport card (I do not currently have one) Do I just check the Both Box on the application and then leave the “most recent passport card number” blank.

    Thank you


    • Hi Rob,

      You should reach out to the Department of Transportation directly regarding this. They will be able to give you the most accurate information.


  10. My son was a minor when he first received his passport. Now that he is an adult what do I need to do to get it renewed?
    Can I go to the post office to have it renewed?


    • Hi Ken, depending on the age of your son, I would suggest starting in the article above at “Passports for Children/Minors Ages 16 and 17” or check out our article here.

      Either way, he will need to go in-person to a post office to have it renewed, you will not be able to do it for him.


  11. I just applied to renew my passport a few days ago and I noticed that It will take 6-8 weeks to receive my new passport. Now, there are personal reasons I need the passport very soon. Can I pay extra now to have the passport renewal process faster, please? I have to travel overseas next week.


  12. Garrett Harper January 13, 2020

    I am about to renew my US passport in the Consulate in Mexico City and am filling out the DS-82 form. I have a couple questions about that.

    1. When it asks for my mailing address, should I provide my address where I live in Mexico? Or an address in the US where I receive my mail? (i.e. Parents house)
    2. On the second page it asks for a Permanent address, is that the place to put my address in Mexico?


  13. I applied to renew my passport with my new married name, but they sent me a passport card instead of a book! Now I have no idea what to do and how to get it in time for my travel in 7 weeks. When I applied I had plenty of time, but they didn’t send me what I ordered. What should I do? I still have not gotten my old passport back from them either.


    • Hi Darah. You could give the passport office a call at 877-487-2778. You can also go online at and check the status of your order for more information. Additionally, you could check your credit card statement before you call to see how much you were charged. It might be helpful information to know if the fee for the change you requested, i.e. changing the name on a passport more than 1 year old, matches the amount charged to your credit card. Perhaps the order is still in progress.


  14. I recently sent a renewal application in for my passport. Can you tell me what the application status stages are? Currently it says, “being processed” or “in progress”, I can’t remember. What would be the next stage in the process that I should see on the website?


    • Hi Zach,

      If the application is already being processed, then the next stage should be the approval of your application once it is finished processing.

      Thanks for reading!


  15. Blaiz Christopher February 22, 2020

    The only name that I have been using for the past 39 years is not my legal birth name. All of my documents are in my current name, including my SS#, California Driver’s License, Medical Insurance, etc.

    I never legally changed my name because I didn’t have a need to. I wasn’t going to travel outside the US. However, now with Real ID necessary to travel by air within the US, I either need to legally change my name, or show a passport with my current name in order to travel. Is it possible for me to get a passport without doing a legal name change? I don’t really have the money to do it right now as I’m on Social Security.

    In the article, you wrote “When using the DS-11 method, you will not need to provide proof of your name change if you already have another government ID issued with your new name.” Is a Social Security Card “another government ID issued with your new name”? Or is that only in the case of a name change due to marriage.

    I have contacted the passport agency, but they just keep sending me links on their website, which don’t answer my question.

    Thank you!


    • Hi Blaiz, this seems pretty complex and unfortunately, we’re not an official source for obtaining a REAL ID or a U.S. passport. Our best recommendation is to refer you to your local DMV or make an appointment at your closest passport office regarding your questions. Sorry we can’t be of more help.


  16. Hi there, my passport was received 1/29/2020 as of today it still says in process on the website for the status. My trip is in about 4 weeks from now so they have had my information now about a month. When I sent my information out the post office told me that if anything is not accepted or more information is needed that a letter would be generated to let me know within 2-3 weeks. At this point I haven’t received anything. Does anyone know if this is accurate? I called the passport office for an update but all they shared was the same information as what is reflected on the website which is “in process” I was just curious if anyone had received a letter asking for more documents, etc. and how quickly this came?


    • Hi KO, I don’t personally have experience with more information being requested, but I do know that my passport took 6 weeks to arrive once it was marked as received when I renewed in May last year. If you are concerned about it not arriving for your trip, you can call and see if you can pay the fee to get your order expedited. Maybe a reader has experience with additional information being requested that can chime in?

      Hope this helps!


  17. Marek France March 5, 2020

    So I need to renew my passport and I cannot find where or how I attach my old passport to the renewal form. Same with paying for it. How I attach payment to the form.


    • Hi Marek, on the form, there are guidelines of where to include 4 staples to attach your picture. In order to attach payment, you can simple include the check inside the envelope. Thanks for reading!


  18. Mack Alexander June 8, 2020

    Hey there – do you all have experience for how long passport renewals are taking with the impact of COVID? My passport is expired and want to know how long it might take.


    • Hi Mack, the passport office has been closed since March 2020, and there is no indication when it might reopen yet per the State Department. It doesn’t even have an estimated time for processing on the website.

      I’ve heard that some individuals that sent their passports back in February have yet to receive them. I would estimate once they reopen, to expect at least a 4-6 month delay, but this is clearly just a best guess. Thanks for reading!


  19. I need to renew my passport because it will expire soon but I’ve also had a name change since my last passport was issued. I was told I need to fill out the DS-82. Question 11 asks for the place of the name change (city/state). My husband and I got married in Cancun, Mexico so I’m not really sure what answer they’re looking for here. Do I just put Cancun, Mexico down? Thanks so much!


    • Hi Heather,

      Did you file the documentation to have your name changed while you were in Cancun? I assume you probably did that at your local courthouse before or after the trip right? In that case, you should put that city and state down.


  20. I applied for passport renewal for my 6-year-old daughter. I got the new passport and passport card but haven’t received the old passport back. I need the old passport for our travel as it has the visa stamped. Can you please tell me how long it takes to get the old passport back? Does it come through priority mail or first class mail? Is there a way to track the status or expedite to get it sooner? I have tried reaching (877) 487-2778 but never been able to reach anyone. Can you please advise? Thanks!


    • Hi Anita,

      I’m sorry for this frustrating situation! Usually, it takes 6-8 weeks to receive your passport back, but if you have it expedited it can return in 2-3 weeks. About how long have you been waiting now?


  21. Has anyone heard how long expedited processing is actually taking right now? Particularly in Philadelphia? I have an application that began processing on February 19th. My travel date is March 17th. I’m really worried it will not arrive in time.


  22. Brandon Doyle June 17, 2021

    Does anyone know how accurate the renewal times are? I paid extra for expedited service as well as overnight return postage. I sent in my renewal application on Wednesday, May 26, and the Dept. of State says they received it on June 6th and that it takes 4-6 weeks to process. I am stressing because my international travel date is July 3rd. Most people were reassuring me with their story of receiving their passport in 3 weeks, but today marks the 3-week mark that I sent it in and it is still processing. I know Covid has affected issuing times, but I am hoping the 4-6 week time is the worst case. I am freaking out because our trip is in 2 weeks and we have prepaid for quite a bit. None of the 3rd party expediting service companies can offer anything but the 4-6 week expediting times either, which does not help me at all. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.


    • Did you get yours? I sent it in mid-April and still haven’t received anything, although I did select standard processing.


  23. Maria Lopez June 22, 2021

    How do you write other names used on DS-82 line 9 if the name is too long for the space?


    • Hi Maria,

      Are you filling out the online form? If so it allows up to 35 characters each for your first, middle, and last name. I would imagine that should be more than enough space, even if you have multiple middle or last names. Here is a link to the form page I am referring to.


  24. Jeromy Cole August 18, 2021

    I applied for a renewed passport by mail and the website gave me an estimated delivery date. When the envelope arrived, it had my old passport and not my new passport. We have tried to contact the passport support people but they have all given us the runaround and said there is nothing they can do to help us. It seems to me that they processed my passport but then accidentally sent me the old passport instead of the new passport. Any suggestions?


    • Hi Jeromy. Normally, the old passport is returned but it is sent in a separate package from the new one. You might want to ask for the package tracking information for the new passport. There should be 2 tracking numbers, one for the old and one for the new.


Any thoughts or questions? Comment below!

Advertiser Disclosure

Many of the credit card offers that appear on this site are from credit card companies from which we receive financial compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). However, the credit card information that we publish has been written by experts who know these products inside out, and what we recommend is what we would (or already) use ourselves. This site does not include all credit card companies or all available credit card offers that are on the market. Click here to see a list of advertisers that we work with.