While the dollar figure may seem daunting, this card comes with a lot of benefits to offset the cost. In this post we’ll focus on its perks related to renting a car.
The Amex Platinum Card offers a few different types of benefits you might want to take advantage of when renting a car:
This post will dig into these benefits to explore what they cover, what they don’t, and how you can benefit from them.
Table of contents
Table of Contents
Benefits of the Amex Platinum Card
First, let’s take a quick look at the Amex Platinum Card as a whole. This premium credit card comes with a premium price tag.
Make no mistake, it’s a pricey card — but if you can take advantage of all the perks the Amex Platinum Card offers, it might earn a spot in your wallet.
Key Benefits of the Amex Platinum Card
- 5x American Express Membership Rewards points on airfare purchased directly from the airline or through Amex Travel
- 5x American Express Membership Rewards points on pre-paid hotels booked through Amex Travel (including those from Fine Hotels & Resorts)
- $200 annual airline fee credit
- $200 annual Uber credit ($15 monthly credit January-November, $35 credit in December)
- $100 Global Entry or $85 TSA PreCheck credit (every 4 years)
- $100 Saks Fifth Avenue shopping credit ($50 credit January-June, $50 credit July-December)
- Airport lounge access including American Express Centurion lounges and a Priority Pass Select membership
- Hilton Honors gold status
- Access to the Hotel Collection and Fine Hotels & Resorts
- Car rental privileges
- Purchase protection and extended warranty
- Travel insurance and lost baggage insurance
Amex Platinum Card Car Rental Privileges
Once you enroll in any of these programs, you will enjoy special benefits and perks.
Avis offers discounts and upgrades to Amex Platinum Card members. These perks only apply to U.S and Canadian residents who are renting at a participating Avis location in the U.S or Canada.
- Make your reservations using Avis Worldwide Discount (AWD) #756900 for up to 25% off base rates. (Discount does not apply to taxes, fees, and surcharges)
- Use Coupon #UUNA007 when making a reservation to receive a complimentary one car class upgrade when available.
These perks are subject to blackout dates and can change at any time. Specialty cars (group x) are not eligible for these discounts.
Click here or call 800-331-1212 to enroll in Avis.
Hot Tip: For more information about Avis car rentals, check out our complete guide to the Avis Preferred Car Rental Program.
As an Amex Platinum cardmember, you will receive free enrollment in Hertz Gold Plus Rewards. You are also eligible to receive a one car class upgrade when you rent an intermediate through full sized car (subject to availability) and pay with your Amex Platinum Card.
Use code CDP#211762 when enrolling in Hertz Gold Plus Rewards to ensure you receive your benefits. Click here or call 800-525-3355 to enroll in Hertz Gold Rewards.
Hot Tip: See our complete guide to Hertz Gold Rewards for more information about the Hertz program.
National Car Rental
Amex Platinum cardholders also receive complimentary Emerald Club Executive membership. Benefits include:
- Choose your own car from the ExecutiveSelection area
- Upgrades when renting a full size through luxury car
- Accelerated earnings toward free rental days
- Speedy returns with an e-receipt
Click here or call 800-525-3355 to enroll in Emerald Club.
Amex Platinum Card Rental Car Loss & Damage Insurance
The first thing you should know about the car rental loss and damage insurance offered by the Amex Platinum card is how to remain eligible.
To be eligible for the coverage provided by American Express, you must:
- Pay for the entire rental cost with your Amex Platinum Card
- Decline the collision damage waiver (CDW) offered by the rental company
Even then, there are exclusions. The coverage provided by the Amex Platinum card does not include any of the following:
- Full-sized or cargo vans
- Commercial mini-vans
- Customized vehicles
- Antique cars
- Off-road vehicles, motorcycles, campers, trailers, recreational vehicles
- Any vehicles rented in Australia, Italy, and New Zealand
- Any situation where the rental car was taken out of the authorized rental area or off-road
- Any situation in which illegal drugs and/or alcohol are involved
- Any residents of American Samoa, Federated States of Micronesia, Marshall Islands, Palau and the U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
- Any ride sharing companies that allow individuals to rent out their personal cars
This coverage only applies to the first 30 days of a rental.
What Does the Plan Cover?
First, if the cardmember, authorized driver, or a passenger is injured as a result of an accident that occurs in the rental car, the plan pays up to $5,000 for medically necessary treatment.
Additionally, if the cardmember, authorized driver, or passenger suffers an accidental death or dismemberment as a direct result of an accident that occurs in the rental car, the plan pays up to $200,000 for the cardmember and $20,000 for an authorized driver or passenger with a per accident max of $300,000. The following exceptions apply:
- For residents of Utah and Vermont, this coverage is primary instead of secondary (see below for more on this)
- For residents of New Hampshire, there are reduced payouts and limits. Accidental death and dismemberment is limited to $20,000 for the cardmember and $2,000 for an authorized driver or passenger with a per accident cap at $50,000.
Any personal property that is damaged or stolen while secured in a rental vehicle is covered up to $1,000 per person and a total of $2,000 per accident.
For theft or damage to the rental vehicle, the Amex Platinum card covers up to $75,000.
If you have a question regarding your insurance policy or filing a claim, use the following contact information.
Customer Service and Claims Department Toll-free: 1-800-338-1670
International Collect: 1-216-617-2500
Email: [email protected]
Car Rental Loss and Damage Insurance
P.O. Box 94729
Cleveland, OH 44101-4729
Car rental loss and damage insurance policies are underwritten by AMEX Assurance Company.
Primary vs. Secondary Coverage
The Amex Amex Platinum Card offers secondary coverage. This means that you need to file a claim with any other applicable insurance first before this coverage kicks in.
If you prefer primary coverage (meaning you don’t have to file a claim with your other insurance first), take a look at the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card. This card comes with primary car rental insurance and only a $95 annual fee.
How to File a Claim
If you believe you have a valid claim, you will need to submit supporting documents online.
Before you submit your claim, you will need the following documents and information:
- Car rental agreement/contract
- Personal insurance information
- Police report that includes damage, theft, or accident information
Filing your claim should take about 15-20 minutes, but you can stop and come back to it by clicking the Save and Finish Later button. If you do this, you must finish your claim within 72 hours, or all of your information will be deleted and you’ll have to start over.
It will take about 45 days to receive a final decision regarding your claim, however, it could be up to 90 days for international rentals.
If you have any questions about your claim, call 1-800-338-1670.
The Amex Platinum card offers many benefits, including car rental insurance and car rental privileges with Avis, Hertz, and National Car Rental.
Rental car loss and damage insurance that comes with the Amex Platinum card is secondary, meaning it only covers what your primary insurance won’t cover.
These perks are all included with the Amex Platinum card annual fee. For a comprehensive guide to all of the value you can get out of this card, check out these benefits of the Amex Platinum Card.