The Platinum Card® from American Express is arguably one of the premier credit cards available today. While the annual fee isn’t for the faint of heart, this card comes with lots of premium perks and benefits.
If this card is on your radar, you will want to apply for the card when the bonus is as high as possible. That’s because American Express only allows you to earn the bonus on a credit card once in your lifetime.
If you have been around the world of points and miles for a while, you’ve likely heard of the coveted 100,000 points introductory offer. Earning a 100,000 point welcome bonus on this card is an ideal situation, but it isn’t available to everyone every day.
In this post, you’ll find all the information you need to apply for the Platinum Card® with a 100,000 point welcome bonus!
Table of contents
Table of Contents
Benefits of The Platinum Card
First, here is a quick look at some of the benefits of the Platinum Card, so you can see why you might want to apply for the card in the first place.
While the card does come with a high annual fee, there are lots of benefits to help offset the annual fee and make the price tag easier to swallow.
Key Benefits of The Platinum Card
- $200 credit for incidental fees charged by your preferred airline
- 5 Membership Rewards points per dollar earned on flights booked directly with the airline and on travel booked through AmexTravel.com
- $200 annual credit for Uber ($15 each month plus an extra $20 credit in December)
- Global Entry ($100) or TSA PreCheck ($85) credit every 4 years
- $100 Sakes Fifth Avenue shopping credit. $50 January through June and $50 July through December.
- Lounge access: Priority Pass Select membership, access to Amex Centurion lounges, and access to Delta Sky Club lounges when you are flying on Delta
- Hotel elite status with Hilton Honors and Marriott Bonvoy
- American Express concierge access
- Purchase protection, return protection, and extended warranty
- Car rental loss and damage insurance
- Lost baggage insurance
American Express Membership Rewards points are worth different amounts depending on how you use them. If you are booking travel through the Amex Travel Portal, then you will get 1 cent per point in value.
However, if you transfer your points to one of American Express’ hotel or airline partners, your points can become much more valuable.
Redeeming Amex Membership Rewards points for statement credits, gift cards, or shopping provides less than 1 cent per point in value and aren’t the best in getting value.
Hot Tip: What are 100,000 Membership Rewards points worth? At a minimum, a 100,000 would be worth at least $1,000 if you used it to book travel through the Amex Travel portal. If you transfer your points to an Amex hotel or airline partner, you could get $1,500-$2,000 or more in value.
How to Find the 100,000 Welcome Bonus [Platinum Card]
The standard welcome bonus offer for the Platinum Card usually varies between 40,000-60,000 Membership Rewards points. So, a 100,000 bonus offer isn’t something you want to pass up.
Here is the current offer from the Platinum Card:
|Credit Card||Benefits & Info|
|The Platinum Card® from American Express|
There are 2 main ways to find your 100,000 Welcome Bonus for the Amex Platinum Card:
- Use the CardMatch Tool (this is the best & fastest option)
- Get a targeted mailing
The CardMatch Tool is a web-based form developed by creditcards.com that allows you to see your best credit card offers from partner banks in seconds.
Keep in mind the CardMatch Tool only shows you offers from banks they are affiliated with; you won’t see every credit card offer that’s available to you. They currently have affiliations with the following banks:
- American Express
- Bank of America
- Capital One
- First PREMIER Bank
How to Use the CardMatch Tool
- To use the CardMatch Tool, all simply input your name, address, and last 4 digits of your social security number on the website. Then click on Get Matches.
- You will see a list of the credit card offers that may be available to you. You can sort your list using the options at the left, but generally, that’s unnecessary because the list won’t be that long.
- Searching for credit card offers using the CardMatch Tool does not affect your credit score. It only requires a soft pull. You won’t get a hard pull on your credit score until you actually apply for a card.
Keep in mind, using the CardMatch Tool doesn’t guarantee the welcome bonus you want. Also, try searching for the card in “incognito” mode on your browser, this may display a different offer. Here’s an example of a 75,000 welcome offer that became available when searching in incognito.
If you are getting creative or using incognito browsers to find the best offer, do so with caution. According to the terms and conditions of applying for an American Express credit card, American Express reserves the right to not honor a welcome bonus that wasn’t intended for you. According to their website,
“If we in our sole discretion determine that you have engaged in abuse, misuse, or gaming in connection with the welcome offer in any way or that you intend to do so (for example, if you applied for one or more cards to obtain a welcome offer(s) that we did not intend for you; if you cancel or downgrade your account within 12 months after acquiring it; or if you cancel or return purchases you made to meet the Threshold Amount), we may not credit Membership Rewards® points to, we may freeze Membership Rewards® points credited to, or we may take away Membership Rewards® points from your account. “
Targeted Mailings and Offers from American Express
If you are lucky, you might just find a 100,000 offer for the Platinum Card in your mailbox one day. But there are a few things you can do to give yourself the best chances of having this offer mailed to you.
Turn On Email Settings
If you want to put yourself in the best position for receiving targeted offers from American Express, be sure to sign up for their credit card offers by email.
- Log into your American Express account.
- Select Account Services in the top menu bar. Then select Alerts, Communications & Privacy, then General Marketing Email Preferences.
- Make sure the New Card and Credit Offers is toggled to On. Be sure to save your selections at the bottom of the page.
Reasons You May Not Get a Targeted 100,000 Bonus Offer
Bad Credit: First and foremost, make sure your credit score is as high as possible. You should be using your current credit responsibly and paying off your bill in full and on time each month.
You Already Have an American Express Card: According to crowdsourced data, you might be less likely to get a targeted offer like this if you already have an American Express credit card.
An offer for 100,000 bonus points on a Platinum Card is like a four leaf clover; it exists but can be hard to find.
If you are lucky enough to get a 100,000 welcome offer, make sure you analyze if the Platinum Card is worth the annual fee before you apply for the card. With a 100,000 welcome offer worth at least $1,000, it most likely is, but always see if it makes sense for you and your finances. It’s always smart to know all the perks the card offers before you apply
After you have earned the 100,000 bonus points, let the fun begin figuring out the best way to use all those Membership Rewards points.
Featured Image Credit: about.amazon.com.