The Platinum Card® from American Express is arguably one of the premier credit cards available today. While the annual fee isn’t for the faint of heart, this card comes with lots of premium perks and benefits.
If this card is on your radar, you will want to apply for the card when the bonus is as high as possible. That’s because American Express only allows you to earn the bonus on a credit card once in your lifetime.
If you have been around the world of points and miles for a while, you’ve likely heard of the coveted 100,000 points introductory offer. Earning a 100,000 point welcome bonus on this card is an ideal situation, but it isn’t available to everyone every day.
In this post, you’ll find all the information you need to apply for the Platinum Card with a 100,000 point welcome bonus!
Table of contents
Table of Contents
Benefits of The Platinum Card
- $200 credit for incidental fees charged by your preferred airline
- 5 Membership Rewards points per dollar earned on flights booked directly with the airline and on travel booked through AmexTravel.com
- $200 annual credit for Uber ($15 each month plus an extra $20 credit in December)
- Global Entry ($100) or TSA PreCheck ($85) credit every 4 years
- $100 Sakes Fifth Avenue shopping credit. $50 January through June and $50 July through December.
- Global Lounge access: Priority Pass Select membership, access to Amex Centurion lounges, and access to Delta Sky Club lounges when you are flying on Delta
- Hotel elite status with Hilton Honors and Marriott Bonvoy
- American Express concierge access
- Purchase protection, return protection, and extended warranty
- Car rental loss and damage insurance
- Lost baggage insurance
American Express Membership Rewards points are worth different amounts depending on how you use them. If you are booking travel through the Amex Travel Portal, then you will get 1 cent per point in value.
However, if you transfer your points to one of American Express’ hotel or airline partners, your points can become much more valuable.
Redeeming Amex Membership Rewards points for statement credits, gift cards, or shopping provides less than 1 cent per point in value and aren’t the best in getting value.
What are 100,000 Amex Points Worth?
At a minimum, 100,000 points would be worth at least $1,000 if you used it to book travel through the Amex Travel portal. If you transfer your points to an Amex hotel or airline partner, you could get $1,500-$5,000 or more in value.
(That’s me below sitting in Etihad’s First Class Apartments after using ~92,000 Amex Points…instead of paying $8,000+ for a ticket which I could never afford…)
How to Find Your 100,000 Welcome Bonus Offer
The best way to find your 100,000 point welcome bonus for the Amex Platinum is to look via a FREE tool called “CardMatch”.
CardMatch allows you to see personalized offers, without pulling your credit — and it usually takes less than 60 seconds to find out.
How to Use the CardMatch Tool
- To use the CardMatch Tool, all simply input your name, address, and last 4 digits of your social security number on the website. Then click on Get Matches.
- You will see a list of the credit card offers that may be available to you. You can sort your list using the options at the left, but generally, that’s unnecessary because the list won’t be that long.
- Searching for credit card offers using the CardMatch Tool does not affect your credit score. It only requires a soft pull. You won’t get a hard pull on your credit score until you actually apply for a card.
An offer for 100,000 bonus points on a Platinum Card is like a four leaf clover; it exists but can be hard to find.
If you are lucky enough to get a 100,000 welcome offer, make sure you analyze if the Platinum Card is worth the annual fee before you apply for the card. With a 100,000 welcome offer worth at least $1,000, it most likely is, but always see if it makes sense for you and your finances. It’s always smart to know all the perks the card offers before you apply
After you have earned the 100,000 bonus points, let the fun begin figuring out the best way to use all those Membership Rewards points.