Holiday Inn Hotels & Resorts is a familiar brand to road warriors or anyone who has needed an inexpensive yet comfortable place to stay for a night or 2. What you may not know is that it is part of the IHG Hotels & Resorts family of brands, which means you can use IHG Rewards points to book any Holiday Inn hotel.
Within the Holiday Inn family, there are actually 3 separate brands — Holiday Inn Hotels & Resorts, Holiday Inn Express, and Holiday Inn Club Vacations. In this post, we’re just going to focus on which Holiday Inn Hotels & Resorts locations offer the best value when booking with points.
When creating this list, we followed a few guidelines:
- IHG Rewards points are worth ~0.5 cents each. This list includes locations where the points value exceeds this average.
- Peak travel dates for each location were determined using Google Travel.
- Cash rates were based on the cost of a weekend night during the peak travel season for each destination.
- The cents per point value was determined using the average of the cash cost and average points cost of a room over a 2-month period.
Hotel room costs can vary throughout the year prices can change at any time. Before booking any hotel with points, you should familiarize yourself with both the cash and points cost so you know when you’re getting a good deal.
Everything You Need To Know About Holiday Inn Hotels & Resorts
Holiday Inn is part of the “Essentials” group of IHG hotels. With over 1,200 locations around the world, Holiday Inn is there when you need an affordable and comfortable place to stay.
Parents traveling with their kids will love Holiday Inn’s kid-friendly policies. Kids stay and eat free at almost every Holiday Inn location worldwide.
Kids Stay Free
The Holiday Inn Kids Stay Free policy allows up to 2 kids to stay for free in a room with up to 2 adults. Cribs are complimentary but there may be an additional charge for a rollaway cot.
Kids Eat Free
The Holiday Inn Kids Eat Free program allows up to 4 kids to dine for free per family or up to 2 kids per parent. This policy applies to breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Kids must order from the kids’ menu and need to be accompanied by at least 1 parent who orders a meal from the full-priced menu.
Age restrictions for the Kids Eat and Stay Free program are as follows:
|Region||Kids Stay Free Age Limit||Kids Eat Free Age Limit|
|U.S., Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, South America||18 and under||11 and under|
|Greater China||12 and under||12 and under|
|Europe||17 and under||12 and under|
|Asia Pacific, Middle East, Africa||12 and under||12 and under|
Hot Tip: Holiday Inn hotels are great for families because at most locations kids stay and eat free! For more tips, check out our complete guide to stress-free family travel.
IHG Rewards Club Overview
Holiday Inn is part of the IHG Rewards loyalty program which means you can earn and use IHG Rewards points at any Holiday Inn location.
IHG uses dynamic pricing which means the cost of a hotel night in points can vary quite a bit and isn’t necessarily tied to the cash cost of the room. IHG Rewards points are worth ~0.5 cents each, so you can always do some easy math to figure out if you’re getting good value for your points.
IHG Rewards points can be earned by staying at IHG properties, using an IHG credit card, or using the IHG Rewards Dining program. You can also transfer points over from Chase Ultimate Rewards to redeem for stays at any IHG hotel.
IHG Rewards Credit Cards
If you find yourself staying at IHG properties often you may want to consider having an IHG credit card in your wallet. There are 2 IHG cards currently available.
|CREDIT CARD||CARD INFO|
|IHG® Rewards Club Traveler Credit Card|
(at Chase's secure site)
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after spending $2,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening
- Earn up to 15 points total per $1 spent when you stay at an IHG hotel
- Earn 2x points on purchases at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants; then 1 point per $1 on all other purchases.
- No Annual Fee
The IHG Traveler card is the base level card, but it still offers the ability to earn elite status — you’ll earn Gold Elite status after spending $10,000 in a calendar year. This card doesn’t come with many premium benefits, but it could be a good option if you’re looking for a card without an annual fee.
|CREDIT CARD||CARD INFO|
|IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card|
(at Chase's secure site)
- Earn 125,000 bonus points + a Free Night after spending $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening
- Enjoy a Reward Night after each account anniversary year at eligible IHG hotels worldwide. Plus, enjoy a reward night when you redeem points for any stay of 4 or more nights
- Earn up to 25 points total per $1 spent when you stay at an IHG hotel
- Earn 2 points per $1 spent on purchases at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants. Earn 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases
- Platinum Elite status as long as you remain a Premier card member
- Global Entry or TSA Pre✓® Fee Credit of up to $100 every 4 years as reimbursement for the application fee charged to your card
- IHG Rewards Club Bonus points are redeemable at hotels such as InterContinental®, Crowne Plaza®, Kimpton®, EVEN® Hotels, Indigo® Hotels & Holiday Inn®
- Good to Excellent Credit Recommend (670-850)
- Annual Fee: $89
The top-level card is the IHG Premier card and it comes with some nice benefits that will appeal to IHG loyalists. You can often find a big welcome bonus which will help you earn a lot of IHG Rewards points fast.
- Earn 10x points per dollar at IHG Hotels & Resorts
- Earn 2x points per dollar at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants
- Automatic IHG Platinum Elite status
- Yearly anniversary night that can be used at locations costing 40,000 points or less
- Fourth reward night free
- Global Entry or TSA PreCheck application fee credit (up to $100 value)
Bottom Line: If you’re after IHG elite status, having the IHG Premier card is the best option since it comes with automatic Platinum Elite status without any spending requirements.
Chase Ultimate Rewards Credit Cards
IHG is a Chase Ultimate Rewards transfer partner which means your Chase points transfer to IHG at a 1:1 ratio. While it’s great to have options, it’s generally not the best way to use your Chase points since they are valued much higher than IHG Rewards points (Chase points are worth ~2 cents each vs. ~0.5 cents each for IHG Rewards points).
However, if you need a few extra IHG Rewards points for a specific redemption, transferring a small amount of Chase points could make sense. In addition, Chase cards offer different bonus categories than IHG cards, making earning points easier, so it often makes sense to have both an Ultimate Rewards-earning card and an IHG card.
Here are our recommended Chase Ultimate Rewards earning cards:
|CREDIT CARD||CARD INFO|
|Chase Sapphire Preferred®|
(at Chase's secure site)
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That’s $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards, 3x on dining, and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals, and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash’s subscription service. Activate by March 31, 2022.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance, and more.
- Good to Excellent Credit Recommended (670-840)
- Annual Fee: $95
Must Reads: For more info on the Chase Sapphire Preferred, see our thoughts on its benefits and travel insurance coverage, which includes primary car rental insurance. Take a look at our full review to see why it’s one of our favorite cards.
|Chase Sapphire Reserve®|
(at Chase's secure site)
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That’s $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- $300 Annual Travel Credit as reimbursement for travel purchases charged to your card each account anniversary year
- Earn 5x total points on air travel and 10x total points on hotels and car rentals when you purchase travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards® immediately after the first $300 is spent on travel purchases annually. Earn 3x points on other travel and dining & 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases
- Get 50% more value when you redeem your points for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 50,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- With Pay Yourself BackSM, your points are worth 50% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Access to 1,300+ airport lounges worldwide after an easy, one-time enrollment in Priority Pass™ Select and up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry, TSA PreCheck®, or Nexus
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more
- Excellent Credit Recommended (740-850)
- Annual Fee: $550
Must Reads: For more on the Chase Sapphire Reserve, see our thoughts on its benefits, global airport lounge access, and travel insurance protection. Take a look here for our full review.
|Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card|
(at Chase's secure site)
- Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $15,000 on purchases in the first 3 months.
- Earn 3 points per $1 on the first $150,000 spent in combined purchases on travel, shipping purchases, internet, cable and phone services, advertising purchases made with social media sites and search engines each account anniversary year
- Earn 1 point per $1 on all other purchases—with no limit to the amount you can earn
- 25% more value when redeeming points through Ultimate Rewards® travel
- Good to Excellent Credit Recommended (670-850)
- Annual Fee: $95
Must Reads: For more info on the Ink Business Preferred, see our guided on its benefits and our full review. This is our favorite Chase business credit card.
Bottom Line: Chase Ultimate Rewards points transfer directly to IHG, but you’ll get more value out of them by utilizing some of the other transfer partners. However, it’s a great option when you need to top off your IHG account if you’re a few points short of a specific redemption.
The 11 Best Holiday Inn Hotels To Book With Points
If you are looking for a good deal in the heart of the Big Apple, look no further than the Holiday Inn New York City – Times Square. Booking this hotel with points will give you ~1.1 cents per point in value! This Midtown Manhattan hotel offers easy access to New York’s top attractions including Madison Square Garden, the Empire State Building, Bryant Park, and more.
The hotel’s amenities are a bit limited but still include a 24-hour business center and small gym. Rooms have all the basics plus a mini-fridge and complimentary in-room coffee and tea. There’s 1 restaurant on-site, Rattle N Hum, which serves breakfast, lunch, dinner, and late-night snacks along with a huge list of on-tap beer, wines, bourbon, and cocktails. Room service is also available.
Points Required: 25,000 to 29,000 per night
August to November Cash Rate: ~$286
Points Value: 1.1 cents per point
The Holiday Inn Golden Mile Hong Kong has the makings of a great hotel redemption — a high cash cost and a great cents per point value. You’ll get ~1.1 cents per point in value (more than double the average) when you book this hotel with points.
Located next to the Mass Transit Railway in the Tsim Sha Tsui district, guests are close to all of Hong Kong‘s main attractions like Victoria Peak, Star Ferry, Tian Tan Buddha, Lantau Island, and more.
With over 600 guest rooms and suites, there’s something for everyone at Holiday Inn Golden Mile Hong Kong. Guests will love the free Wi-Fi, outdoor pool and bar, and fitness center. There are 3 restaurants on-site — Bistro on the Mile, Osteria Ristorante Italiano, and Loong Yeun Cantonese Restaurant — as well as room service and an Executive Club Lounge. An additional bar, Hari’s at Golden Mile, has live entertainment.
Points Required: 41,000 per night
August to November Cash Rate: ~$443
Points Value: 1.1 cents per point
Mauritius is an island nation located to the east of Madagascar in the Indian Ocean. If you’re looking to get great value from your IHG Rewards points, the Holiday Inn Mauritius Mon Tresor is a great option, offering 1 cent per point in value. It’s also one of the most affordable options on the island, which in addition to its beautiful white sand beaches, is known for its expensive resorts.
The hotel itself features a lovely outdoor pool as well as a spa and fitness center. Plus, guests can enjoy the pool table, ping pong table, and tanning beds as well. There’s a full-service restaurant plus a cocktail lounge that both overlook the terrace and pool. Guest rooms and suites feature modern décor and standard amenities to ensure a comfortable stay. Some rooms even have private balconies.
For a truly unique experience check out the Beach House, just a free 10-minute shuttle ride away. This private area has sun loungers and a dining area overlooking the lagoon. Non-motorized water sports like kayaking and snorkeling are free of charge for Beach House guests.
Points Required: 14,000 per night
December to February Cash Rate: ~$141
Points Value: 1 cent per point
Holiday Inn Jaipur City Centre is close to local attractions like Hawa Mahal, Amber Fort, and Nahargarh Fort and has a 24-hour travel desk to help guests plan their excursions.
After sightseeing, guests can relax in Tattva Spa or enjoy views of the city from the outdoor pool. There are 3 restaurants on-site — Monarch Restaurant, Chao Chinese Bistro, and Road House Bar and Grill — plus Ten Kings Bar for evening cocktails.
During peak season, you’ll get ~1 cent per point in value, about twice the average value of IHG Rewards points, making this one of the best Holiday Inn hotels to book with points.
Points Required: 12,000 to 35,000 per night
December to February Cash Rate: ~$212
Points Value: 0.99 cents per point
Hot Tip: If you’re connecting through Delhi (DEL) or Mumbai (BOM) en route to Jaipur (JAI), our guide offers the best ways to fly to India with points and miles.
If a tropical, yet affordable, vacation is on your radar, check out the Holiday Inn Mayaguez & Tropical Casino on Puerto Rico’s west side. Located just 2 miles from the local airport, this hotel is close to beaches, mountains, historical sites, and shopping.
In addition to a 24-hour casino, there’s an outdoor pool with a separate kids’ splash area, a gym, a full-service restaurant, and a lobby bar featuring live music.
Guest rooms come with many comforts of home including a mini-fridge, coffee maker, complimentary internet access, and a free morning newspaper. Suites that feature separate living areas and have a minibar with free bottled water are also available.
Points Required: 18,000 to 19,000 per night
December to April Cash Rate: ~$162
Points Value: 0.88 cents per point
If Paris is on your bucket list, but you’re also on a budget, the Holiday Inn Paris – Notre Dame might fit the bill. This modern hotel is located on the Left Bank within walking distance to many famous Paris attractions like Notre Dame, the Louvre, and Museé d’Orsay.
The lobby features a Starbucks coffee corner and a bar/lounge offering light snacks throughout the day as well as cocktails. During the spring and summer, there’s also a rooftop bar, Le Quarante Trois Bar & Restaurant, serving late lunch and dinner along with spectacular Paris views. Guests can access the rooftop terrace even when the restaurant is closed.
Guest rooms come with all the basics plus a pillow menu and complimentary coffee and tea. Suites featuring a private balcony with Eiffel Tower views or a private terrace and 2 bathrooms are available for travelers looking for a touch of luxury.
Points Required: 22,000 to 27,000 per night
December to April Cash Rate: ~$172
Points Value: 0.76 cents per point
Located between St. Louis and Indianapolis, the Holiday Inn Effingham could be a great place to stop on your Midwest road trip. The hotel is attached to the Thelma Keller Convention Center, making it a convenient place to stay for convention attendees.
The comfortable guest rooms and spacious suites all come with a microwave, mini-fridge, coffee station, large workstation, free morning newspaper, and free internet.
Other conveniences include a 24-hour business center, laundry facilities, sundry shop, fitness center, and a heated indoor pool with a hot tub. There’s an on-site restaurant and full-service bar, and room service is also available.
Points Required: 14,000 to 31,000 per night
May to October Cash Rate: ~$136
Points Value: 0.74 cents per point
Holiday Inn Dubai Festival City offers affordable accommodations that are convenient to all that Dubai has to offer. Guests have direct access to Dubai Festival City Mall including IMAGINE, the world-famous laser, light, and fountain show. Plus, Dubai International Airport (DXB) and the downtown area are both just 10 minutes away.
The hotel itself caters to business and family travelers alike. There’s an outdoor swimming pool with a kids’ area, a kids’ club, and a fitness center and spa, as well as a 24-hour business center. Dining options are plentiful and include Sirocco, Zeste, Z Garden, and Joe’s Backyard, which is located on the 19th floor and boasts views of the Burj Khalifa.
The comfortable guest rooms and suites come with amenities to make you feel at home including a mini-fridge and complimentary coffee, tea, and bottled water — plus some rooms have spectacular views of the Dubai skyline.
Points Required: 15,000 to 23,000 per night
October to April Cash Rate: ~$116
Points Value: 0.73 cents per point
Holiday Inn Munich – City Centre is located directly above an S-Bahn station (the local train system), making it easily accessible from many different areas of Munich. Just a 5-minute train ride away, guests can explore Marienplatz, the city’s main square featuring shopping and dining.
This pet-friendly hotel has a full-service restaurant on-site, as well as a lobby bar and lounge for afternoon snacks or a drink after a day of sightseeing.
There are over 500 guest rooms and suites featuring perks like a pillow menu, free Wi-Fi, in-room coffee, air conditioning, and blackout shades. One of the most unique things about this hotel is that it has its own rooftop beehives so guests can enjoy fresh honey at the restaurant and lounge.
Points Required: 17,000 to 23,000 per night
May to October Cash Rate: ~$128
Points Value: 0.72 cents per point
If the French Riviera is on your bucket list (and why wouldn’t it be) then you’ll want to check out the Holiday Inn Cannes. It’s a great option if you’re looking for an IHG hotel that you can book with points.
Located close to the Mediterranean Sea, Holiday Inn Cannes offers guests a comfortable place to stay while enjoying all that Cannes and the surrounding areas have to offer. The Garden View Restaurant serves local and international cuisine along with beautiful views of the pool area and sea from the outdoor terrace. Guests can also take advantage of the cocktail lounge and room service.
The hotel is only 8 minutes from Palais des Festivals, the home of the famous Cannes Film Festival. This area is also popular for tourists looking to relax on the beach or do some boutique shopping. Plus, the Nice Côte d’Azur International Airport (NCE) is only 30 minutes away.
Points Required: 23,000 to 51,000 per night
May to August Cash Rate: ~$192
Points Value: 0.71 cents per point
The location of the Holiday Inn Bern – Westside will appeal to families because it’s part of the Westside Shopping and Leisure Center and next door to Bernaqua Waterpark & Spa (where guests are permitted free of charge for 3 hours). Hotel guests will also receive a Bern Ticket upon check-in which allows for free travel on public transport, making all of Bern’s tourist attractions like Old City, Zytglogge Clock Tower, and Zentrum Paul Klee, within easy reach.
The hotel itself features both indoor and outdoor pools and whirlpools as well as a fitness center and spa. Each of the 144 modern guest rooms is equipped with everything you need for a comfortable stay. The hotel’s restaurant serves regional dishes as well as an American breakfast buffet and scrumptious desserts, plus there’s an on-site bar with an outdoor terrace so guests can relax with their favorite beverage.
Points Required: 23,000 per night
May to November Cash Rate: ~$160
Points Value: 0.70 cents per point
Holiday Inn hotels offer comfortable and affordable accommodations for business travelers and families alike. Families traveling with kids will especially love Holiday Inn’s Kids Eat and Stay Free program. While many locations don’t offer much more than the basics, some locations have amenities like pools, fitness centers, and even spas.
These 11 Holiday Inn hotels offer great value when redeeming IHG Rewards points. If you’re interested in more high-end properties, check out our guide to the best luxury IHG hotels to book with points.
The information regarding the IHG® Rewards Club Traveler Credit Card was independently collected by Upgraded Points and not provided nor reviewed by the issuer.