If you’re planning a trip, especially in the current environment, chances are the topic of purchasing travel insurance crossed your mind. It’s good news that whether you’re looking for a comprehensive travel insurance package policy or 1 that focuses on providing medical insurance coverage during your travels, you’ll find coverage can be easily secured and it can be affordable.
The company we’re reviewing today offers both comprehensive travel insurance package plans and separate plan options that provide stand-alone travel medical coverage. Seven Corners has been offering these plans since 1993 to U.S. citizens traveling abroad, travelers who are visiting the U.S., and other international travelers.
Let’s continue as we look at why you’d want to purchase travel insurance and specifically why you’d want to consider Seven Corners. We’ll also look at the types of policies offered by Seven Corners, how the company compares to other travel insurance companies, and to the coverage that comes with your credit cards.
Join us now for a close-up look at Seven Corners and what it has to offer.
Why Purchase Travel Insurance
Travel insurance is designed to protect your trip investment from loss and from the additional expenses incurred due to an unexpected event, causing you to cancel your trip or resulting in disruption during your travels.
Here is a sampling of circumstances when travel insurance could provide a significant benefit:
- You break your ankle during your ski trip and need to return home early
- An immediate family member becomes seriously ill and you must cancel your trip to care for them
- You become ill or injured while staying at a remote lodge and must be evacuated to the nearest hospital
- There is a flood and your home becomes inhabitable, causing you to cancel your trip
- You suffer a dental injury on vacation and need immediate dental work
Bottom Line: Any trip that involves a significant investment in non-refundable expenses should be insured, as well as any trip that takes you where you would be without medical coverage.
Travel Insurance and COVID-19
Many travelers have recently found themselves in a position where they needed to cancel, postpone, or change their travel plans due to COVID-19. While it’s reasonable to expect that travel insurance might cover these cancellations, normally, it does not.
It’s possible your travel insurance policy will cover you for canceling your trip due to getting ill from the virus, or if your trip is disrupted as a result, but many companies are excluding coverage for any COVID-19 related claims.
Additionally, voluntary cancellations due to the fear of getting ill are not a covered reason for trip cancellation on any travel insurance policy.
In order to be covered for COVID-19-related trip cancellation, you must purchase Cancel for Any Reason insurance (CFAR). Note that the coverage can be expensive, it will not cover all of your trip costs, and many companies do not offer the coverage.
If having this coverage is important, you’ll want to select a travel insurance company that offers CFAR insurance and/or offers coverage for trip cancellation, trip interruption, and medical care should you contract the COVID-19 virus.
Bottom Line: Travel insurance does not cover voluntary trip cancellations due to the fear of getting ill. In order to have coverage for voluntary cancellations, you must purchase Cancel for Any Reason insurance. Not all companies sell this CFAR insurance, it does not cover all your trip costs, and it can be expensive.
Why Purchase Travel Insurance From Seven Corners
When you select a travel insurance company, you’ll first want to make sure it’s financially stable and that it has decent customer reviews. Seven Corners checks those boxes with an A+ rating of the company’s underwriters from the insurance financial rating company A.M. Best, and according to global consumer rating company Trustpilot, 81% of its customers view their experience as good or excellent.
Now that we know Seven Corners is a stable and well-respected company, we’ll next want to check out the company’s policy offerings.
We’ll compare coverages and costs shortly, but 2 critical items we’ve covered so far in this article are 1) the importance of a company offering the option to purchase CFAR insurance and 2) that a policy offers coverage for COVID-19.
If either of these items is important to you, have peace of mind knowing that Seven Corners offers both.
Let’s look closer at the types of policies Seven Corners offers.
Bottom Line: Seven Corners has highly rated underwriters, good customer service ratings, and offers both comprehensive travel insurance package plans and medical travel insurance. In addition, the company offers CFAR add-on insurance and coverage for COVID-19 related expenses.
Type of Policies Available
Seven Corners offers both comprehensive trip insurance policies and travel medical insurance plans. You can expect to find a combination of key coverages offered on each policy.
Let’s look at Seven Corners trip insurance policy options.
Comprehensive Travel Insurance Package Policies
Whether you’re a U.S. resident or non-U.S. resident traveling internationally, Seven Corners offers a travel insurance package option that will cover you during your travels.
- Roundtrip Trip Cancellation Insurance — for U.S. residents traveling internationally; select between Roundtrip Economy, Roundtrip Choice, and Roundtrip Elite policy options
- Roundtrip International Trip Insurance — for non-U.S. residents traveling internationally
You’ll find a long list of coverage options on these single-trip comprehensive package travel insurance plans including the following:
- Trip cancellation/interruption/delay coverage
- Missed connection
- Change fee
- Lost, stolen, damaged, or delayed baggage
- Emergency medical, dental, and evacuation/repatriation
- Political evacuation
- Accidental death and dismemberment
- Pre-existing conditions waiver
- 24/7 worldwide assistance services
Optional coverages include car rental insurance, CFAR, cancel for work reasons, lost or damaged ski/golf equipment, and flight accident insurance.
With more focus on medical coverage while traveling and the ability to purchase 1 annual plan for multiple trips, Seven Corners’ Wander policies also provide incidental trip protections such as trip interruption/delay and luggage insurance.
- Wander Frequent Traveler — annual comprehensive medical coverage (not including COVID-19-related illness)
- Wander Frequent Traveler Plus — annual comprehensive medical coverage, including COVID-19-related illness
Hot Tip: Cancel for Any Reason insurance can be added to most Seven Corners Roundtrip package policies to cover up to 75% of non-refundable trip expenses.
Travel Medical Insurance Plans — Plans for International Travelers
Liaison travel medical insurance plans can cover up to 10 travelers, focusing on major medical coverages, and also includes incidental trip cancellation, interruption, delay, and baggage coverage.
- Liaison Travel Basic — designed for travelers traveling outside the U.S.
- Liaison Travel Plus — for those who are traveling outside the U.S., includes coverage for COVID-19
- Liaison Travel Basic U.S. — for non-U.S. visitors traveling to the U.S.
- Liaison Travel Plus U.S. — for non-U.S. visitors traveling to the U.S., includes coverage for COVID-19
Liaison Travel Plus and Travel Plus U.S. policies are recommended if you need a travel medical policy that meets Schengen visa insurance requirements.
Travel Medical Insurance Plans — Travel Within or To the U.S.
Explore North America plans focus on providing major medical coverage while visiting the U.S. but also include a $5,000 trip interruption benefit.
- Explore North America and Explore North America Plus — policies provide coverage for non-U.S. residents who are also non-U.S. citizens who need medical coverage while visiting the U.S., Canada, Mexico, and parts of the Caribbean; the plans can cover trips up to 364 in length
The Explore North America Plus plan includes coverage for COVID-19 related expenses.
- Group Plans — Find coverage for single trips or for extended periods up to 364 days. Whether you’re an individual traveling with a group, need a plan that covers your entire group, or want to cover your entire family, there’s a group plan that will fit your situation. Select a comprehensive travel insurance plan or 1 that focuses on medical coverage.
- Liaison Student Travel Medical Insurance — Liaison Student medical plans are designed for U.S. citizen students traveling abroad, non-U.S. student citizens traveling to the U.S., and non-U.S. citizens traveling outside of the U.S. The plan can also cover faculty, scholars, and their families.
- Liaison Medical Evacuation and Repatriation — This plan is designed for students traveling in the U.S. to meet J visa insurance requirements.
- Visitor Insurance Plans — Complete medical insurance plans are available for inbound non-U.S. citizens traveling to the U.S. Coverage for family members and travel companions is also available.
Bottom Line: Seven Corners offers an expansive collection of comprehensive travel insurance plans and options for stand-alone travel medical insurance coverage. Plans include single trip coverage, annual plans, group coverage, and coverage for students. Whether you’re a U.S. citizen traveling abroad or a foreign national traveling the world, there’s a Seven Corners plan that fits your situation.
How To Obtain a Quote
Seven Corners provides an easy-to-use website to secure a quote for any of its travel insurance products. Minimal information is needed to receive an immediate quote. The site also provides information that can help educate you on the different types of insurance available.
After submitting your information, you’ll receive an instant quote with the price and list of coverages. Review the coverages, select any desired additional coverage, and the policy is available for immediate purchase.
You’ll find the process of getting a quote and comparing coverages simple and easy to understand. Plus, you’ll be able to secure coverage for your trip immediately.
Bottom Line: Whether you need travel medical insurance or a comprehensive travel insurance policy, Seven Corners’ website makes it easy to secure a quote, review coverages, and purchase a policy with immediate coverage.
The Value of Travel Insurance Comparison Sites
Regardless of the type of insurance you wish to purchase, it’s always prudent to compare policy coverages and costs. This is especially true with travel insurance and travel medical plans as coverage is widely available and costs can vary significantly between companies.
That’s where travel insurance comparison sites can add value. You’ll find each site compares scores of highly-rated companies and dozens of policies, making it easy to compare and select the policy that best meets your needs.
Here are a few we recommend.
Best for Comprehensive Travel Insurance Plans
- TravelInsurance.com — Compare travel insurance plans that also offer travel medical insurance. No stand-alone travel medical plans are offered.
- Squaremouth — Search for single trip, annual, group, and sports/adventure plans. While travel insurance plans can include medical coverage, there is no option to search for medical-only coverage.
Best for Travel Medical Plans
- InsureMyTrip — The site allows you to compare single and multi-trip travel medical policies as well as comprehensive travel insurance plans.
Bottom Line: Travel comparison websites are valuable resources for comparing travel insurance plans. However, not all sites allow you to search for stand-alone travel medical plans.
How Seven Corners Travel Insurance Compares
Seven Corners vs. Other Travel Insurance Companies
Purchasing travel medical insurance for a single trip is not an expensive decision, although costs can be much higher as you get older. In the above example, we searched for a quote for a 1-week $3,000 trip to Mexico for a traveler 40 years of age. All plans include COVID-19 coverage and cost $13 to $20. At 70 years of age, the same policy would cost approximately $50 to $90.
Seven Corners offers both competitive coverage and premium costs on travel medical insurance when compared to several other insurance companies. Your experience will vary based on the type of policy, the coverage selected, the age of the travelers, and the length/cost of the trip.
When we look at comprehensive travel insurance policies, Seven Corners, although competitive, had lower limits on medical coverage within the comprehensive travel insurance plans when compared to most other companies. However, higher limits are available via the Seven Corners website.
Seven Corners vs. Credit Card Insurance
Many credit cards come with complimentary travel insurance coverages that can provide a benefit if your trip is canceled/interrupted for covered reasons, your luggage becomes damaged, lost, or delayed, or even if you have an accident with your rental car.
It’s possible this coverage could be sufficient for a simple trip that doesn’t include a significant financial outlay. However, the coverage that comes on your credit card will not take the place of a comprehensive travel insurance policy. Plus, it’s rare to find any level of travel medical insurance on a credit card.
There are just a few additional reasons for considering travel insurance over the coverage that comes with your credit card:
- Coverage that comes with your credit card is normally secondary coverage that requires you to first file a claim with any other applicable insurance
- Claims for travel insurance are not handled by the credit card issuer but by a third-party company, making it potentially more complicated to file a claim
- Credit cards do not provide comprehensive travel medical coverage
- Credit card insurance does not cover cancellations due to the fear of getting ill, including the fear of getting the COVID-19 virus
- You are normally required to use the applicable credit card to purchase the trip in order to have coverage
If your trip does not involve a significant investment, you have medical insurance that covers you while traveling outside the country, and you feel comfortable relying on the coverages offered by travel rewards credit cards, here are a few of the best cards to consider:
One of our favorite overall travel rewards cards, the Chase Sapphire Preferred card offers the following travel insurance benefits:
For more information on the Chase Sapphire Preferred’s travel insurance benefits, you’ll want to read this informative article.
Examples of travel insurance benefits that come with the Chase Sapphire Reserve card include:
- Trip cancellation, trip interruption, trip delay
- Emergency medical, dental, and evacuation insurance
- Primary car rental insurance
- Baggage insurance
- Travel and emergency assistance
- Travel accident insurance
To review all the travel insurance coverages included with the Sapphire Reserve, you can learn more in our expanded article.
Hot Tip: Check to see if you’re eligible for a welcome offer of up to 150,000 points with the Amex Platinum card! (The current public offer is 80,000.)
You can expect to find a nice collection of travel insurance benefits on the Amex Platinum. Note that terms apply and enrollment may be required through your American Express account, so don’t miss out on these benefits.
- Trip cancellation, trip interruption, and trip delay reimbursement
- Secondary car rental insurance with the option to purchase Premium Protection for 1 low fee that covers the entire rental period
- Travel accident insurance
- Premium Global Assist Hotline
- Emergency transport and evacuation (included in the Premium Global Assist Hotline benefit)
Bottom Line: The travel insurance coverage that comes with your credit card is not a substitute for a travel insurance package policy or medical coverage. The credit card coverage could be sufficient for a trip that does not involve a significant investment or if your health insurance covers you during your travels. For an overview of the best credit cards for travel insurance coverages, check out our article on the topic.
Everything Else You Need To Know
Here is some additional helpful information regarding purchasing a policy from Seven Corners:
- You have 10 days after you receive your policy documents to review the plan and, if not satisfied, request a full refund
- Some Seven Corners medical plans are secondary and require you to have an underlying health insurance plan that covers you in the U.S. to be eligible
- Not all policies offered by Seven Corners are available in every state
- You can initiate a claim with Seven Corners by calling 800-335-0611 or 317-575-2652 worldwide or via the Seven Corners website
- Seven Corners offers plans that meet Schengen Visa requirements
Seven Corners is a highly rated, established, and respected travel insurance company that offers a wide variety of travel and medical insurance plans for travelers. It is overall competitive and offers both COVID-19 coverage and Cancel for Any Reason insurance.
The company also excels in providing long-term medical coverage for international travelers.
One caution to note is that, as with all travel insurance companies, many of Seven Corners’ plans do not offer COVID-19 related coverage. If this coverage is important to you, be sure to select a policy that includes it and if desired, add CFAR coverage.
Because there are so many variables when it comes to purchasing travel insurance or travel medical insurance, prices and coverages can vary significantly. Be sure to check several sources to find the right coverage at the right cost.
All information and content provided by Upgraded Points is intended as general information and for educational purposes only and should not be interpreted as medical advice or legal advice. For more information, see our Medical & Legal Disclaimers.
For rates and fees of The Platinum Card® from American Express, click here.