LifeMiles is the frequent flyer program that Avianca S.A. launched in 2011, and it replaced their old program, which was named AviancaPlus. Using Avianca LifeMiles is actually one of the best ways to redeem points and miles in the Star Alliance.
There are tons of quick and unique ways to earn LifeMiles. We have a lot of ground to cover, so let’s get started.
Sign Up for an Avianca LifeMiles Account
Avianca LifeMiles function a bit differently than other frequent flyer programs. For example, the United MileagePlus program is directly tied to United Airlines meaning you access both directly from United.com.
The same can’t be said for Avianca LifeMiles. You must visit the separate LifeMiles website in order to make award bookings and create a LifeMiles account.
LifeMiles also has a redesigned website, which is a significant upgrade over its predecessor.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to make an Avianca LifeMiles account:
- Visit the LifeMiles website
- The default language is Spanish, so you’ll want to click on the flag icon in the top right corner to change your language
- Click the blue button in the middle of the page that says Join LifeMiles for free
- Create your login information by typing in your email and a password. Click Next
- Type in your information, along with your driver’s license or ID number
- Follow all the prompts and create your LifeMiles account
Your LifeMiles account will be crucial in earning LifeMiles, whether it’s from purchasing miles at one of their great sales, eating out, or booking hotel rooms.
After you create your LifeMiles account, write down your LifeMiles number and get ready to earn a lot of miles!
Earn Avianca LifeMiles With Credit Cards
Using credit cards to earn Avianca LifeMiles is now easier than ever with the addition of American Express Membership Rewards and Capital One.
We have lots of options here, so let’s get to the ways to earn LifeMiles with credit cards.
Citi ThankYou Rewards Credit Cards (Best Option)
In our opinion, transferring Citi ThankYou Rewards points is the best way to earn Avianca LifeMiles quickly.
You can transfer your points at a 1:1 ratio and you can often get huge transfer bonuses. These bonuses can bring the transfer ratio up to 25%, simply by transferring ThankYou points.
In order to accrue Citi ThankYou points, you’ll need to have a credit card that’s linked to the ThankYou Rewards program. Similar to Chase Ultimate Rewards, you must have a ThankYou-points-earning card that allows for points transfers.
For example, having the Citi ThankYou® Preferred or Citi Rewards+® Card will not make you eligible to transfer ThankYou points to travel partners. Instead, you can only use your points for gift cards or statement credits at a 1 cent per point value. (The ThankYou Preferred card has been discontinued.)
If you have a Citi Prestige® Card or Citi Premier® Card, you can transfer Citi ThankYou points to Avianca LifeMiles.
Although the portfolio of Citi ThankYou-points-earning cards is smaller than American Express, you’ll find that there are a lot of spending categories that allow you to earn bonus points.
With a wide variety of points-earning categories, you can earn points faster with a Citi card than other credit cards.
These cards also often come with large welcome bonuses that can kickstart your journey to earn lots of Avianca LifeMiles.
Here are the bonus categories that allow you to earn points quickly:
|Category||Applicable Credit Cards||Bonus Points|
|Dining||Citi Prestige card||5x|
|Citi Premier card||2x|
|Supermarkets||Citi Rewards+ card||2x|
|Gas stations||Citi Premier card||3x|
|Citi Rewards+ card||2x|
|Citi Premier card||2x|
|Hotels||Citi Prestige card||3x|
|Cruise Lines||Citi Prestige card||3x|
|All other purchases||Citi Prestige card||1x|
|Citi Rewards+ card||1x|
|Citi Premier card||1x|
Though the Citi Preferred card has been discontinued, we’ve included its point-earning structure here for your information.
There are tons of ways you can optimize your spending to put the right purchases on the right credit cards and earn the maximum amount of points.
Hot Tip: Check out how you’re able to earn 100,000+ Citi ThankYou Rewards points in just 90 days!
American Express Membership Rewards Credit Cards
American Express Membership Rewards are an extremely competitive points currency to have in your arsenal. It’s arguably one of the best flexible points currencies due to the frequent transfer bonuses and ease of earning points.
Amex also has many transfer partners, giving you the ability to use your points how you want to.
American Express has only recently added Avianca LifeMiles as a transfer partner, so we’ve yet to see a transfer bonus as we’ve seen with Citi ThankYou Rewards. As of now, American Express Membership Rewards transfers at a 1:1 ratio.
The advantage of American Express is that they have many credit cards that earn American Express Membership Rewards points, which means you have tons of options to get extra points from bonus categories and earn sign-up bonuses.
Recommended American Express Cards (Personal)
|Credit Card||Key Benefits & Info|
The Platinum Card® from American Express
(at Amex's secure site)
- Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership. Apply and select your preferred metal Card design: classic Platinum Card®, Platinum x Kehinde Wiley, or Platinum x Julie Mehretu.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year and earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- $200 Hotel Credit: Get $200 back in statement credits each year on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection bookings, which requires a minimum two-night stay, through American Express Travel when you pay with your Platinum Card®.
- $240 Digital Entertainment Credit: Get up to $20 back each month on eligible purchases made with your Platinum Card® on one or more of the following: Audible, Disney+, The Disney Bundle, ESPN+, Hulu, Peacock, SiriusXM, and The New York Times. Enrollment required.
- $155 Walmart+ Credit: Cover the cost of a $12.95 monthly Walmart+ membership with a statement credit after you pay for Walmart+ each month with your Platinum Card. Cost includes $12.95 plus applicable local sales tax.
- American Express has expanded The Centurion® Network to include 40+ Centurion Lounge and Studio locations worldwide. There are even more places your Platinum Card® can get you complimentary entry and exclusive perks.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one select qualifying airline.
- $200 Uber Cash: Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member only.
- $300 Equinox Credit: Get up to $25 back each month on the Equinox+ digital fitness app, or eligible Equinox club memberships when you pay with your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $179 CLEAR® Credit: Use your Card and get up to $179 back per year on your CLEAR® membership.
- Good to Excellent (670-850)
- Annual Fee: $695
- Terms Apply. For rates and fees of the Amex Platinum card, click here.
Must Reads: For more info on the Amex Platinum, see our thoughts on the cards incredible benefits and perks, which includes travel insurance coverage, and so much more. Check out our full review to see why it’s one of the best travel credit cards.
|American Express® Gold Card|
(at Amex's secure site)
- Rose Gold is here to stay. Card Members can choose between a Gold or Rose Gold Card.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 6 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® Points at Restaurants, plus takeout and delivery in the U.S., and earn 4X Membership Rewards® Points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per calendar year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® Points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- $120 Uber Cash on Gold: Add your Gold Card to your Uber account and each month automatically get $10 in Uber Cash for Uber Eats orders or Uber rides in the U.S., totaling up to $120 per year.
- $120 Dining Credit: Earn up to a total of $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with the Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth’s Chris Steak House, Boxed, and participating Shake Shack locations. This can be an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Good to Excellent (670-850)
- Annual Fee: $250
- Terms Apply. For rates and fees of the Amex Gold Card, click here.
Must Reads: For more info on the Amex Gold Card, see our guides on its benefits and perks, as well as our full review.
Business owner? See our list of the best Amex business credit cards.
Capital One Miles Credit Cards
Capital One’s transferable rewards system is a welcome addition to traditional giants such as American Express Membership Rewards and Chase Ultimate Rewards. Capital One miles transfer 1:1 to Avianca LifeMiles.
Recommended Capital One Cards That Earn Miles (Personal)
|Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card - The newest card in the Capital One lineup with a welcome offer of 75,000 bonus miles after spending $4,000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening. Not only does the card come with up to $300 in statement credits when booking through Capital One Travel, you'll also get get 10,000 bonus miles (equal to $100 towards travel) every year, starting on your first anniversary. |
Earn unlimited 10x miles on hotels and rental cars booked through Capital One Travel and 5x miles on flights booked through Capital One Travel, plus unlimited 2x miles on all other purchases.
|Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card - This card is packed with lots of benefits and perks. Earn 60,000 mile welcome bonus once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening. We recommend this as a no-brainer card if you even semi-regularly stay at hotels since this card earns unlimited 2x miles on every purchase.|
|Capital One VentureOne Rewards Credit Card - This is an excellent card for those looking to earn 1.25x miles per $1 on every purchase. With a 20,000 mile welcome bonus (worth $200 toward travel) after spending $500 within the first 3 months and no annual fee, it's a strong choice.|
The biggest selling point of Capital One is the simple earning structure:
|Credit Card||Bonus Miles|
|Capital One VentureOne Rewards Credit Card||1.25x|
|Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card||2x|
|Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card||2x|
|Capital One Spark Miles For Business||2x|
|Captial One Spark Miles Select For Business||1.5x|
Hot Tip: The Avianca co-branded credit cards from Banco Popular were discontinued in March 2022.
Marriott Credit Cards
Marriott has the most flexible rewards currency out there. With 40+ transfer partners, you have a lot of options on how you use your points. Avianca LifeMiles is no exception.
However, there are much better and more effective ways to use your Marriott points, which is why this isn’t at the top of our list.
Marriott to LifeMiles transfers at a 3:1 ratio with a 5,000-mile bonus for every 60,000 Marriott points transferred. In other words, if you transfer 60,000 Marriott points, you’ll receive 20,000 LifeMiles plus a 5,000 bonus, bringing up your total to 25,000 LifeMiles.
You can earn Marriott points from cards offered by both Chase and American Express:
Recommended Marriott Cards
|Credit Card||Benefits & Info|
|Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Credit Card|
(at Chase's secure site)
- Earn 3 Free Nights (each night valued up to 50,000 points) after qualifying purchases.
- New Benefit! Earn 3X Bonvoy points per $1 on the first $6,000 spent in combined purchases each year on grocery stores, gas stations, and dining.
- New Benefit! Earn 1 Elite Night Credit towards Elite Status for every $5,000 you spend.
- 1 Free Night Award (valued up to 35,000 points) every year after account anniversary.
- Earn up to 17X total Bonvoy points per $1 spent at over 7,000 hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy® with the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Card.
- 2X Bonvoy points for every $1 spent on all other purchases.
- Receive 15 Elite Night Credits annually, automatic Silver Elite Status each account anniversary year, and path to Gold Status when you spend $35,000 on purchases each calendar year.
- No foreign transaction fees.
- Good to Excellent (670-850)
- Annual Fee: $95
Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card
(at Amex's secure site)
- Earn 100,000 Marriott Bonvoy bonus points and 1 Free Night Award after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.
- Enjoy up to $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy™ program.
- Earn 6 Marriott Bonvoy points for each dollar of eligible purchases at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy™ program. 3 points at U.S. restaurants and on flights booked directly with airlines. 2 points on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card renewal month. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel. Certain hotels have resort fees.
- Enjoy unlimited airport lounge visits when you enroll in Priority Pass™ Select membership.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Good to Excellent (670-850)
- Annual Fee: $450
- Terms Apply. For rates and fees of the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant card, click here.
Refer a Friend for Bonus Miles
Citi recently rolled out a referral program for the Citi Premier card, which adds another 10,000 ThankYou points for each approved referral. You can get points for up to 5 referrals in 12 months. This is a great way to involve your friends and family in points and also get a nice bonus.
American Express also offers a refer a friend program. With this program, you’re able to refer your friend to virtually any card in the American Express portfolio.
You’re restricted to referring a personal card from a personal card and a business card from a business card. Log in to your American Express online account to refer friends.
Earn Miles Through Shopping and Dining
Earning LifeMiles doesn’t have to involve credit card applications and spending. Although it’s the best feasible way to earn a gigantic chunk of LifeMiles in a short period of time, you can still do great by earning LifeMiles via shopping and dining.
LifeMiles Shopping and Dining Partners
LifeMiles has a whole slew of shopping and dining partners. Although most of the companies are South American, there are quite a few American companies on the list.
Some neat examples of companies where you can earn LifeMiles are Harley Davidson, Steve Madden, Vans, Tumi, Golds Gym, L’Occitane, Armani, and American Eagle.
To start earning LifeMiles with shopping partners, follow these instructions:
- Visit the LifeMiles shopping portal
- Click Find commercial partners
- Change the filter at the top left from Colombia to all countries
- Select the partner where you want to shop
Keep in mind that you can only earn LifeMiles at specific locations, such as shops in Colombia, Costa Rica, or San Salvador.
You can earn up to 5 LifeMiles per dollar spent with these partners, so it’s a great way to earn miles.
Once you’ve selected your partner, the following page will provide you with directions on how to earn bonus LifeMiles, which can vary from company to company.
LifeMiles Restaurant Partners
Avianca LifeMiles has a variety of restaurant partners, in addition to their shopping partners. You’ll only earn LifeMiles when dining at specific locations.
You can earn up to 5 LifeMiles per $1 spent at restaurant partners. Some examples of restaurant partners are P.F. Chang’s, 9 Hundred Pizza, and China Express.
Remember that earning LifeMiles with partners is subject to the specific terms and conditions, which can vary from partner to partner.
Earn Miles Through Travel
You can earn a lot of LifeMiles for paid flights, hotel stays, and more! This section will be dedicated to travel-related purchases and using them to grow your LifeMiles balance.
Airfare and Airline Purchases
Unsurprisingly, you can earn a lot of Avianca LifeMiles by flying on Avianca flights. Mileage earning is dependent on the fare class and distance of your ticket. Additionally, the minimum number of miles you can accrue for international flights is 500 miles.
Here’s the award chart for accruing Avianca LifeMiles when flying on Avianca:
|Cabin||Fare Family||Fare Classes||Minimum miles accrued||Qualifying Miles Earned||Qualifying Segments Earned|
|Economy||Super Promo||U, T, S, W||500||50%||1|
|Econo||Z, P, O, L, G, E, V, Q||500||100%||1|
|Flexi||H, M, B, Y||500||150%||2|
|Business||Business Promo||A, D, K||500||150%||2|
For example, if you fly from Los Angeles (LAX) to Bogota (BOG) on a fare class A ticket, you’ll travel a total distance of 3,479 miles. You’ll earn 150% on 3,479 miles, which is 5,219 LifeMiles and 2 segments, which go toward elite status.
If you hold LifeMiles elite status, your miles accrual rate goes up.
Here’s the breakdown of Avianca elite status:
- Silver: 25% mileage bonus
- Gold: 75% mileage bonus
- Diamond: 100% mileage bonus
Let’s take the same example from above, but for someone with an elite status of gold. That person flying from Los Angeles (LAX) to Bogota (BOG) on a fare class A ticket will earn a 75% bonus in addition to the base 5,219 LifeMiles, bringing up the accrued total to 9,132 miles.
Crediting Partner Airlines to LifeMiles
You can accrue LifeMiles from many different airline partners, but each partner has specific accrual rates.
You’ll also be able to accrue LifeMiles for flights on Star Alliance partners, Iberia (a Oneworld airline), and Aeromexico (a SkyTeam airline).
You can find the complete list of partner airlines and LifeMiles accrual rates on the Avianca LifeMiles website.
Hot Tip: For more information, check out this in-depth guide to help you know where to credit your airline miles.
Car Rentals and Other Ground Transportation
You can also earn LifeMiles through car rental partners.
Here’s a list of car rental partners:
Avis has the best deal on earning LifeMiles, so we would suggest utilizing them when possible.
LifeMiles Hotel Partners
Avianca partners with a lot of different hotel brands, so there are many opportunities to top off your LifeMiles by booking hotels.
You can find out all the hotel partners on the LifeMiles website, but check out our consolidated list below:
|Barceló Hotels & Resorts||Up to 1 mile/$1||Best Western||Up to 250 miles per stay|
|Hilton||Can only convert Hilton Points to LifeMiles (10,000:1,000)||IHG||Up to 2 miles/$1|
|La Quinta||Up to 250 miles per stay||AccorHotels||Can only convert Le Club AccorHotels points to LifeMiles (2:1)|
|Marriott||Up to 2 miles/$1||Meliá Hotels International||Up to 500 miles per stay|
|Wyndham||Up to 2 miles/$1|
If none of these hotel chains is a good fit for you, there are quite a few booking portals that you can utilize to earn LifeMiles.
LifeMiles Hotel Booking Portals
LifeMiles currently partners with these booking portals:
|Booking Portal||Miles Earning||Booking Portal||Miles Earning|
|Rocket Travel||Up to 10,000 miles/night||Kaligo.com||Up to 20 miles/$1|
One of the biggest hidden perks of using booking portals is that LifeMiles periodically offers huge bonuses on hotel bookings, but sometimes for only a single day.
These bonuses can actually earn you miles that are more valuable than the booking itself!
LifeMiles also offers experiences through Rocket Travel, which is LifeMiles’ partner for LifeMiles Experiences.
You’ll usually earn around 2 to 3 LifeMiles per dollar spent on LifeMiles Experiences.
Specialty Earnings for Avianca LifeMiles
One of the most effective ways to get tons of LifeMiles is by taking advantage of deals that are exclusive to Avianca LifeMiles. As you’ll find out, taking advantage of these deals is extremely easy.
The main thing to watch out for is timing. The best way to illustrate this point is with the example below.
Buy Avianca LifeMiles During Huge Sales
Avianca typically sells LifeMiles at a prohibitively high price of 3.3 cents per mile. We do not recommend purchasing LifeMiles at this price unless you’re in an emergency and need the miles as soon as possible.
Avianca frequently offers gigantic bonuses on purchased miles. And by gigantic, we mean gigantic.
It’s not unusual to see bonuses of 125-150% on purchased miles. In other words, if you buy 1,000 miles during these sales, you’ll get an extra 1,250-1,500 miles for free, bringing your total up to 2,250-2,500 miles.
The maximum number of LifeMiles you can purchase per year is currently 200,000 (before bonuses).
Subscribe to Club LifeMiles
Club LifeMiles is a recently launched subscription service from Avianca LifeMiles that allows you to make recurring purchases for miles.
In addition, the more miles you buy (for a full 12 months), the bigger bonus you get for purchasing miles.
Here’s the breakdown of the subscription levels.
|Plan||Total Miles With Bonus (Year Total)||Total Cost (including taxes and fees)||Cents Per Mile (CPM)|
Best case scenario? You buy miles at 1.39 cents per point, which means that you can fly on Lufthansa First Class one-way between the U.S. and Europe (87,000 LifeMiles) for $1,209.30 using this subscription.
Considering that Lufthansa often retails for $10,000 or more, you can get tons of value this way.
Hot Tip: LifeMiles processes all purchases directly on Avianca, meaning that you’ll qualify for 5x points with the The Platinum® Card from American Express.
There are a lot of neat ways to earn Avianca LifeMiles.
Avianca LifeMiles is an extremely versatile frequent flyer program. They never pass on any fuel surcharges to you, they’ve got tons of ways to get lots of points, and there are many great ways to redeem LifeMiles for maximum value!
The information regarding the Avianca Vida Visa® Card, Avianca Vuela Visa® Card, Citi ThankYou® Preferred, Citi Prestige, Citi Premier℠ card, Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card, and Capital One VentureOne Rewards Credit Card was independently collected by Upgraded Points and not provided nor reviewed by the issuer.
For rates and fees of the Platinum Card® from American Express, click here.
For rates and fees of American Express® Gold Card , click here.
For rates and fees of the Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card, click here.
For rates and fees of the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card, click here.
For rates and fees of the Business Platinum Card® from American Express, click here.
For rates and fees of the American Express® Business Gold Card, click here.
For rates and fees of the Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express, click here.