Card Summary Table
Card Bonus & Info
- Card Type(s):
American Express Membership Rewards
- Goes Well With
Foreign Transaction Fees
Business Owners, Frequent Travelers, International Travelers
Customer Service Number
- Login Link
The card has access to all the Membership Rewards airline and hotel partners, as well as all other partners). Cardmembers also become members of American Express Global Lounge Collection, which allows them unlimited lounge access to over 900 lounges globally. Additionally, the lounge access includes Centurion, Delta Sky Club, and Airspace lounges.
- There is no interest rate on this card since cardholders are required to pay off their balance in full every month
- $38 or 2.99% of any past due Pay in Full amount, whichever is greater
- Also a Returned Payment fee of $38
The Ideal Cardholder
Meetings in Memphis, a new client in Cleveland, and closing a big deal in Denver – all this week? Then The Business Platinum® Card from American Express OPEN can provide you some well-deserved rewards on flights and hotel stays.
Plus, if you need to stay connected with the office (or you need to say goodnight to the kids online) you can be available with Gogo and Boingo Internet.
The card can be used both within and outside of the U.S., since there are no foreign transaction fees to worry about from American Express.
Plus, no more waiting in long lines. With an eligible card, you can get expedited screening at select airports, or even access to TSA PreCheck when you’ve been a long-term cardholder.
Sign-Up Bonus and Earning Categories
When you apply for The Business Platinum® Card from American Express OPEN, points can rack up quickly, especially if you travel frequently for business and use the card to book via the American Express Travel website.
As of 3/30/17, you can now get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com, and 1x points for each dollar you spend on eligible purchases (Terms and Conditions Apply).
Note that the 5x points are only good in the Amex Travel portal, and you may not always find the best travel prices there. This card is more about the luxury travel benefits than the points!
The card also still earns 1.5x points for any single purchase of $5,000 or more. This is a great new boost to earn some extra points for business owners!
The annual fee on the card is $450, which is on the pricier side but includes a wide range of benefits.
Benefits of Being a Member: Premium Travel Benefits
The card isn’t just a way to pay for travel and hotels. It can offer you the ultimate in purchasing power while allowing you to travel in style. Just some of the benefits that this card offers include (Terms and Conditions Apply):
- Airport lounge access program – With your card, you can enjoy complimentary access to more than 850 airport lounges – including The Centurion lounge network, Airspace Lounges, and the Delta Sky Club.
- (UPDATED) 35% airline bonus – Formerly a 50% bonus, you can use your rewards to Pay with Points for all or part part of a flight on selected qualifying airlines, and you get 35% of the points back!
- $200 airline fee credit – By using selected airlines, you can receive up to $200 per year in statement credits when incidental fees (like checked bags and in-flight refreshments) are charged by the airline to your account.
For anyone who travels frequently, these benefits can make a trip that much more convenient…when combined, however, they make this card that much more worthwhile!
Making Business Travel Count With Pay With Points
While the previous 50% bonus was much more valuable, don’t overlook the value in the now 35% point rebate for booking through the American Express Travel Portal. What this means is that any points you use will have the equivalent value of ~$0.015 each.
Being that $0.02 is the minimum we try to achieve, this is a little below our suggested redemption value. But it’s still valuable.
Say you wanted to fly domestically and your flight would cost $350 cash and 30,000 miles if you were to book it as an award (round trip). If you used the miles, you would actually only get about a $0.012 per point value.
Note that this is why we promote using your points for international travel…the value is often much higher!
Continuing, if you were to book that same flight using Pay With Points, you would have to have the 35,000 points in your account to pay for the $350 flight (at $0.01 each), but you would get back 12,250 points due to the 35% rebate!
Now, the same flight is only costing you the equivalent of 22,750 miles, which is a savings of 7,250 miles. But even more important is that the ticket you book with Pay With Points counts as a cash ticket.
With a cash ticket, you are going to earn even more award and elite qualifying miles when you take your flight, versus if you used an award flight you would earn none!
The caveat to the 35% rebate is that it can only be used for economy tickets on your airline of choice, but if you are booking business or first class tickets you get the rebate for any airline.
Some of you might think that booking a cash business or first class ticket might not be a good idea, but it turns out if you do your research you might be able to find some great deals.
Some have had success getting “hidden” fares by calling the Platinum Concierge to book!
Other Card and American Express OPEN Perks
The card offers you additional perks, especially if you’re on the go meeting with clients, traveling through airports, and catching flights on a regular basis.
Being on the road can be tough, but having this credit card can make it a lot easier!
Your benefits include concierge service, purchase protection, premium roadside assistance, baggage insurance, travel accident insurance, Departures Magazine, extended warranty, and the Preferred Seating Program.
Plus, the card has no preset spending limit. This provides you with purchasing power that can be adjusted depending on your use of the card and some other factors.
In addition, this card also includes the benefits that all other American Express OPEN cards are entitled to, such as ReceiptMatch, OPEN Savings, dispute resolution, account alerts, Account Manager, online statements, mobile and tablet apps, and the OPEN Forum.
Some Drawbacks of Using The Card
While there are a number of great benefits to having The Business Platinum® Card from American Express OPEN, it can also fall short in a few areas. First and foremost, it does have a high annual fee of $450.
Next, the bulk of the rewards from this card are travel-related. If you don’t travel frequently, it’s unlikely you’ll find enough benefits to pay the steep annual charge that keeps this card in your wallet.
Lastly, when comparing this to The Platinum Card® from American Express, there are almost no differences except 2:
- The business card has a 35% point bonus rebate when used through the travel portal for your selected airline tickets and tickets for all business and first class.
- The Platinum Card® from American Express has a $200 per year credit with Uber
Alternatively, if you are more interested in earning points than getting luxury travel benefits, you could get The Business Gold Rewards Card from American Express OPEN or the personal Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express.
How To Get the Most Out of The Business Platinum® Card from American Express OPEN
If you are a business person who also travels frequently, then having this card in your pocket can help you to earn some pretty hefty rewards as you criss-cross the U.S. (or even the globe!).
The card offers numerous high-value travel perks. These include a $200 airline fee credit and a 35% airline bonus: simply use your card to book your travel arrangements and pay for airline incidentals such as in-flight refreshments.
Frequent travelers can also get a lot out of this card by using its car rental perks (such as discounts and complimentary upgrades), baggage insurance, and 24/7 concierge service.
There are other ways to benefit from the card, too. For example, it offers purchase protection for up to 90 days if an item is lost, damaged, or stolen.
It also provides extended warranty protection, which can add up to one additional year to a manufacturer’s original warranty.
Final Thoughts: A Summary of the Card
As a business traveler who makes frequent travel arrangements, The Business Platinum® Card from American Express OPEN can offer an ideal way to earn rewards, while at the same time making your travel easier and more convenient.
With no pre-set spending limit, this card allows you to earn membership rewards that can be redeemed for a number of different options like travel, gift cards, and merchandise (including Amazon.com purchases).
However, the best way to take advantage of your card rewards is to use them for travel.
For those who are frequently on the go in the air or on the ground, the card can protect you in several ways, including its premium roadside assistance, baggage insurance, and travel accident insurance.
In addition to the card membership benefits and the premium travel benefits, you will also automatically be eligible for all of the great rewards included through the American Express OPEN program.
These benefits include conveniences such as ReceiptMatch, OPEN Savings, and Account Manager, which can provide you with even more convenience whether you’re at home or on the road.
When using your card, you’ll be earning points: 5X for each dollar of eligible purchases made when you book on the American Express Travel website, or 1X for each dollar that you spend on other eligible purchases.
And, with their new addition, American Express now will give you 1.5x points for any purchase of over $5,000 on your card!
Great Card If
- You are a frequent business traveler
- You are able to pay off your balance each month
- You will make large purchases of $5,000 or more on your card
See our 41 valuable benefits of the Business Platinum® Card from American Express article for a lot more detail!
Don't Get If
- You do not travel frequently
- You are not able to pay off the card’s balance each month
- You are seeking a cash advance
- You are seeking a place to move a balance transfer from another credit card
U.P. Pro Tips
Zipping about the country (or the world!) can be exciting, but it can also be exhausting if you don’t have access to the right amenities, such as airport lounges and easy access to boarding your flights.
If you’re going to be on the road or in the air, having American Express Business Platinum in your pocket can be an extremely beneficial travel companion – wherever it is you may be heading.
How To Use The Business Platinum® Card from American Express OPEN: The Upgraded Way
Best Way To Maximize Points
While there are many ways to benefit from The Business Platinum® Card from American Express OPEN, the main thing people really want to know is how they can accumulate their Amex points.
Just like creating a solid travel itinerary, it’s important to have a strategy in place so you can make the most of the rewards that are available on this card. The good news here is that it can be easy for you to do!
Tip #1: Be sure to book all your travel through the AmexTravel.com portal. This is because you can earn 5x points for each dollar of eligible purchases made when you book on the American Express Travel website and 2x points for other offers (Terms and Conditions Apply).
Tip #2: With the new points earning bonus, if you make large purchases of $5,000 or more with your card you will get 1.5x points instead of the normal 1x points. You can also get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
Tip #3: Try looking for any Amex Offers that show up on your card to give you bonus points. For instance, some people have gotten 2x points on Amazon.com in their offers.
Tip #4: Need a business car? Try purchasing it with your card through the Amex Auto Purchase program. You can earn points up to a certain amount of spending allowed by the program.
Best Way To Redeem Points
There are several options available for redeeming your points on The Business Platinum® Card from American Express OPEN.
However, some are likely to be more beneficial than others. Take the time to review American Express Membership Rewards redemptions to see where you are able to spend your points.
Ways to redeem points on this card include:
Option #1: Using Your Points To Book AMEX Travel Rewards in the Travel Portal or Through Travel Partners
One of the better ways to use your points earned on the card is to book AMEX rewards travel. When you do so, you will get $0.01 per point for flights, and $0.007 for everything else.
As a cardholder, the real value here is that you receive 35% of your points back when you do this! This makes your points automatically worth $0.015 each, and you also get to earn additional award and elite qualifying miles!
Note that this is only good for economy class purchases on your selected airline, but on any airline if you are purchasing business or first class tickets.
Even though AirBnB is considered to be more of a shopping partner (because services here aren’t booked via the AMEX portal), points related to AirBnB are also valued at $0.007 each.
Also, the American Express travel fees are waived since this is a premium card. (This is not the case when redeeming travel rewards on all other AMEX rewards cards).
However, the highest value comes when you transfer your points to travel partners.
There are numerous travel partners (listed below), and the value of the points redeemed through them can be over $0.02 each!
Option #2: Using Pay With Points for Statement Credit
Here, you can use points to pay your statement balance. The value is generally quite low, however, and not recommended.
Option #3: Using Points To Obtain Gift Cards and/or Merchandise Vouchers
When you use points to obtain gift cards and other types of merchandise vouchers, the point value will typically be between $0.005-$0.01 per point. The value will generally be based on the particular gift card that you are getting.
Option #4: Using Points To Shop Directly With Amazon.com and Other Partners
You can also use points to shop at AMEX partners like Amazon.com, BestBuy.com, TicketMaster, or Telecharge.com. Most of these options are also worth $0.005 per point when redeemed.
Option #5: Using Points To Shop through American Express
You also have the option of using your points to shop through the American Express mall. Here, too, the points are worth $0.005 each.
However, you can also add cash to your points in order to purchase higher-dollar items if you don’t have enough points to get an item you really want.
Option #6: Using Points to Make a Charitable Donation
Donating to charity can be a great way to use points. Going this route, the point value is $0.01 per point on the first 500,000 points that are donated per year, with a minimum of 1,000 points that can be donated at once.
Option #7: Using Points for Uber and/or Other AMEX Point of Sale Partners
If you happen to take advantage of Uber in your travels (either at home or abroad), then you can redeem points when you ride. You can get a full $0.01 value per point using this method.
This value is also available when you use points with other point of sale partners such as New York City taxis and McDonald’s.
Option #8: Transferring Your Points to American Express Plenti
Plenti Rewards, a relatively new option from AMEX, can also be redeemed at various vendors. You have the option of transferring your AMEX points over to Plenti, but the value will typically be lower if you go this route.
Earn Plenti points using The Plenti® Credit Card from Amex.
AMEX airline partners include: Air Canada Aeroplan, Air France / KLM Flying Blue, All Nippon Airways (ANA), Virgin Atlantic Flying Club, Asia Miles, British Airways Executive Club, Club Premiere Aero Mexico, MilleMiglia Club Alitalia, Hawaiian Airlines, Emirates Skywards, Iberia Plus, KrisFlyer, Delta SkyMiles, JetBlue TrueBlue, Virgin America Elevate, Etihad Guest
Finding out if The Business Platinum® Card from American Express OPEN is going to be valuable for your situation is important. This is especially the case if you do not travel frequently.
Also, this particular card has an extremely high annual fee, so it takes a lot of rewards to make up for that.
Getting Card Value Through Earning Points
For example, if you assume a point value of 1 cent each, then it will take $45,000 in spending on this card just to make up for the annual card fee of $450.
$45,000 * $0.01 = $450
With that in mind, you would have to spend a lot more on the card in order to come out ahead here. But if you are a frequent business traveler, you know how the dollars can add up quickly on both airfare and hotel room charges.
If you know you’ll spend in the neighborhood of $45,000 or more each year on travel-related expenses and you can use this card to do so, then it could be well worth it.
For instance, let’s say you spend just $6,000 per month on business travel and other ancillary items on the card.
$6,000 * 12 months = $72,000/year
In this case, you will have more than reached the $45,000 per year that would make up for the $450 annual fee. At this point, you’ve broken even.
Using Travel Benefits To Value The Card
Additional card benefits outside of points are where this card shines. Some of the benefits and their value include (Terms and Conditions Apply):
- Airport lounge access and American Express Global Lounge Collection – Purchasing this option from American Express Global Lounge Collection normally costs $399 per year.
- Airline fee credit – You’ll receive a credit of $200 for incidentals on your eligible airline of choice.
- Trusted traveler programs – Provided you keep the card long-term, every five years you’ll receive an application credit of either $100 or $85 for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck respectively.
Here is a quick table that summarizes some of the other benefits found on Amex Business Platinum. These are detailed more in the review for The Platinum Card® from American Express.
|Benefits||Low Value||High Value|
|Airline Fee Credit||$200||$200|
|Lounge Access Program||$120||$1,000+|
|Global Entry/TSA PreCheck||$17/yr||$20/yr|
|Gold Status HHonors/ SPG||$50||$300+|
|International Airline Program||$0||$1,000++|
|Car Rental Privileges||$0||$100+|
*Note: these are estimated values by UpgradedPoints.com, not representations of value presented by American Express
As you can see, the high value of the benefits is far beyond the actual cost of the card. At the lower end it’s actually below, so you would need to make up an additional $75 in value with points.
Final Card Math Thoughts
To make up the $450 annual fee in points, you would need to spend over $45,000 on your card in a year through your business. While this may not be hard, you might find greater value in the fringe benefits.
From lounge access to elite status, really utilizing the benefits of your card can easily outweigh the $450 fee. By our estimates, the benefits are worth over $2,000 per year!
The Gritty Details: Everything Else You Need To Know
If you decide to put this card in your pocket, you’ll need to know all the intricate details, starting with the fact that it’s a charge card and not a credit card. That means you won’t be able to carry a balance from month to month.
You also won’t be getting cash advances, so there isn’t any way to earn points in either of these capacities. Likewise, there are other exceptions such as not being able to earn points on casino-related and/or lottery ticket purchases.
The card has no pre-set spending limit. This provides you with purchasing power that can be adjusted with your use of the card, as well as other factors.
As with any other financial transaction, be sure to read over the card agreement in full before making any big purchase on your card.
American Express does have the right to make changes or additions to the terms of its agreement, but as long as you have a good understanding of how everything works, you should be set up for success!
Other Unique Features of this Card
The card can offer you the ultimate in purchasing power while allowing you to travel in style. Just some of the benefits that this card offers include (Terms and Conditions Apply):
- 35% airline bonus – You can use your rewards to Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with selected qualifying airlines, and you get 35% of the points back!
- $200 airline fee credit – By using selected airlines, you can receive up to $200 per year in statement credits when incidental fees, such as checked bags and in-flight refreshments, are charged by the airline to your card account.
- Airport lounge access program – With your card, you can enjoy complimentary access to more than 850 airport lounges, including The Centurion lounge network, Airspace Lounges, and the Delta Sky Club.
- Starwood Preferred Guest program – When you own this Amex business card, you’ll be able to upgrade to Gold status at the Starwood Preferred Guest program without having to meet any stay requirements.
- Gogo & Boingo internet – Stay connected to home or business when you’re traveling via inflight internet access on seven airlines, as well as more than 1 million hotspots.
- No foreign transaction fees – Regardless of where you’re traveling, you won’t incur any foreign transaction fees from American Express when you use the card.
- Fee credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck – You’ll receive a statement credit every five years after you apply for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck with an eligible card. If approved, you can also get expedited screening at select airports.
Some additional benefits include the Fine Hotels & Resorts program: When you book your travel via Fine Hotels & Resorts, you can also receive complementary benefits like the following:
- noon check-in when available
- a room upgrade upon arrival when available
- one daily breakfast for two people
- complementary Wi-Fi
- guaranteed 4pm late checkout
- additional special amenities unique to each property
With some of the travel benefits below, you’ll see that though being on the road can be tough, The Business Platinum® Card from American Express OPEN can make it a lot easier!
- Business Platinum Card Concierge – Concierge is available 24/7 and ready to help out. Regardless of whether you need to make arrangements for dinner or purchase the perfect gift, Concierge is there.
- Purchase protection – When you make a covered purchase with your AMEX card, it’s protected for up to 90 days against theft, accidental damage, or loss (up to $10,000 per occurrence and $50,000 per cardmember account per year).
- Premium roadside assistance – Roadside assistance is also available 24/7 whether you need a tow, jumpstart, or various other roadside emergency services. American Express will pay for included services up to four times per year.
- Baggage insurance plan – If you travel a lot, you know how frustrating it is for a bag to go missing. With the baggage insurance plan, your luggage is covered for loss, damage, or theft when you purchase your fare on your eligible AMEX card.
- Travel accident insurance – Travel accident insurance can provide up to $500,000 in accidental death and dismemberment coverage while you’re traveling on a common carrier when you’ve booked your trip on your AMEX card.
- Departures Magazine – Departures Magazine features information on travel, style, culture, shopping, dining, and inspiring details from around the world. This information is yours just for being a cardmember.
- Extended warranty – When you charge an eligible product with The Business Platinum® Card from American Express OPEN, you can extend its warranty for up to one additional year.
- Preferred Seating program – With Preferred Seating, you will have access to premium seats at select cultural and sporting events based on availability.
In addition, this card also includes the business benefits that all the American Express OPEN cards are entitled to, such as:
- ReceiptMatch – Never wonder again which purchase came from where. With Receipt Match, you can add receipts, tags, and notes to your purchase transactions from your desktop or mobile device.
- Account alerts – Avoid late payments (and the corresponding fees) by setting up account alerts to notify you of upcoming due dates, as well as employee card spending. Alerts can also notify you of any irregular activity on your card.
- OPEN Savings – When you make qualifying purchases, you’ll automatically be eligible to enjoy additional savings. Your card comes fully equipped with this benefit.
- Account manager – If you’re like most business owners, you probably don’t have a lot of time to sift through account statements. This feature lets you assign an employee or business partner to take on this task for your business card account.
- Dispute resolution – Should you find an incorrect charge or any type of fraudulent activity on your Amex Card statement, American Express will work with you to resolve this matter immediately.
- Online statements – In today’s paperless world, you’ll be able to easily view your statements anytime online. From your online account, you can also view your purchase history, prepare reports to invoice your customers, and budget your expenses.
- Mobile and tablet apps – When you’re a business owner who’s on the go, you may not want to carry a laptop with you. Getting access to your account via mobile and tablet apps can make checking your information quick and easy.
- OPEN Forum – Growing your business and networking with other like-minded individuals is easy when you’re a member of OPEN Forum. By accessing the articles and information, you can obtain important tools and advice to move your company forward.
Photo Credits / Credit/Copyright Attribution:
Business Man in Security: Igor Karasi/Shutterstock
Business Man Next to Car: Khakimullin Aleksandr/Shutterstock
Couple Purchasing Car: goodluz/Shutterstock
Island Resort at Dusk: Everything/Shutterstock
The Business Platinum® Card from American Express OPEN
Don’t miss out on these 41 benefits of this card, such as access to over 1000+ airport lounges, complimentary Boingo wifi access ($468 value), 10 GoGo Inflight wireless passes ($160 value), $200 Airline Fee Credit and so much more. Terms Apply.
Most Popular Articles
57 Best Ways to Redeem Amex Membership Rewards Points 
54 Best Ways To Redeem Chase Ultimate Rewards Points for Max Value 
The Global Entry Program: From Application To Airport [In-Depth]
16 Best Ways To Redeem United MileagePlus Miles for Max Value 
12 Best Ways To Redeem Delta SkyMiles for Max Value 
8 Best Ways to Earn Lots of Chase Ultimate Rewards Points 
Is The Business Platinum® Card from American Express OPEN worth it?
For those who are always traveling, the card can be well worth it even with the hefty annual fee.
If you use the card to book travel and make other qualifying purchases, the rewards can really rack up, especially on travel.
Just some of the primary travel benefits include (Terms and Conditions Apply):
- Earn 1.5x points on all purchases of $5,000 or more
- Airport lounge access program and American Express Global Lounge Collection
- $200 airline fee credit
- 35% airline bonus
- Fee credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck
- Gogo and Boingo internet access
- Fine Hotels & Resorts benefits
- Starwood Preferred Guest program
- Business Platinum travel service
- Concierge service
- Purchase protection
- Premium roadside assistance
- Baggage insurance plan
- Travel accident insurance
- Departures Magazine
- Extended warranty
- No preset spending limit
Does The Business Platinum® Card from American Express OPEN have an annual fee?
There is an annual fee on this card of $450. However, the annual fee includes a 35% point bonus when booking flights through Amex Travel, $200 airline fee credit, airport lounge access program, Concierge service, Gogo & Boingo internet, and more!
Do the points on The Business Platinum® Card from American Express OPEN ever expire?
The points will never expire or go away unless you cancel all of your AMEX rewards cards. Provided you keep one of your American Express rewards cards open, you will also keep all your points.
How does The Business Platinum® Card from American Express OPEN compare to the Business Gold Rewards Card from American Express OPEN?
While American Express Business Platinum focuses more on luxury travel benefits, The Business Gold Rewards Card from American Express OPEN focuses on points earning.
The Business Gold Rewards Card from American Express OPEN gets 2-3x points in five different bonus categories.